Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: DC Comics -- relaunch, 52 titles each starting from #1
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 440805 posted on 30-7-2011 at 20:53 Reply With Quote
DC Comics -- relaunch, 52 titles each starting from #1

No DC comic is spared--everything starts from #1, beginning August 31. I got a free promotional comic which lists all the titles, gives an art sample, and tells a little about each one.

The Batman franchise must be selling well, because it is well-represented in the line-up: Batman, Detective Comics, Batwoman, Batgirl, Batman: The Dark Knight, Batman and Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman, and Birds of Prey.

The Green Lantern franchise is represented by 4 books. The Superman family has four--Superman, Action Comics, Supergirl, and Superboy. Most other books are pairs, or singles.

I am dismayed to find that two series which I have subscribed are not included--The Doom Patrol, and THUNDER Agents, are both gone from the line-up. I only hope that there has been sufficient advance notice and talent in writing to conclude the present story arcs and give each series a worthy finish. (It would be sad if one of the story arcs was not concluded, or if the arc was concluded with one more issue remaining, which would probably result in something lame, since most modern comic stories require a few issues to develop.)
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 440806 posted on 30-7-2011 at 20:58 Reply With Quote

My late brother spent some time in USA - he used to send me copies of something called "MAD" - is that still around, Scholar ?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 440808 posted on 30-7-2011 at 21:15 Reply With Quote

Some of the new line-up seem, to me, to be real losers.

The Hawk and the Dove--the concept goes back to the '60s, when the original characters were a pair of young people, one of whom was more agressive and violent and the other was more pacifist. (I don't remember how they got their powers and crime-fighting outfits.)

Demon Knights--takes place during the Dark Ages. From a brief reading, it sounds as if the main character has a demon inside who sometimes takes over his body and uses his demon strength and powers. Can anyone say, "Let's make our own DC version of Bruce Banner and the Hulk"?

Voodoo--the title character is a female traveler involved in violence.

All-Star Western--will readers of westerns sustain a 2011 comic book?

Animal Man--the character never seemed that strong, to me.

The Savage Hawkman--Unless the new version is different, he has no super-powers. He is like a flying Batman without a Batmobile. I don't see him flying far.

Captain Atom (whom I remember from the early days, when Steve Ditko of Spiderman fame drew him) is in the line-up. I don't like the art, and I wonder if he will work out. He seems to be described in a way very similar to Dr. Manhatten of The Watchmen.

At least one of the new Justice League titles seems filled with their B-list characters. I don't know if that one will last, either, but I'm sure the roster will change if sales are poor.

I am quite frustrated to find that both of my recent favorites were cast aside, while several long shots were put in.

My other DC favorites have been The Flash and The Justice Society of America. Flash returns to a monthly book. We seem to be back to Barry Allen, not Wally West. The JSA is gone. (I may want to pick up their last one or two issues--I missed the last one. <sigh> And I'm sure that's the problem, lack of sales. If others like me only buy a few comics each month, then some good titles don't go home with me.)
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.