Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Web site that refreshes itself
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 439351 posted on 12-7-2011 at 15:05 Reply With Quote
Web site that refreshes itself

I sometimes look in at a news site run by a fellow named Drudge. The site is mostly a page of links to other sites which have articles or opinion pieces. It strives to be up-to-the-minute, that you might see a news story there before it comes up on the every-half-hour news programs.

My problem: the site refreshes itself--when I open it in a browser window, it does not stay put. Peridically, that tab in my browser goes blank and then reloads with a new version which is almost identical to the version just before. (It may have one new link, out of several dozen--but I would not have taken the time to refresh it so often.)

Since I am on a dial-up modem, and am sometimes trying to download a larger file at the same time I am browsing, I would rather not have Drudge grab some of my data stream every half minute (or however often it happens).

If I want to keep the Drudge page that I have, without it refreshing itself--how do I accomplish this?
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 439352 posted on 12-7-2011 at 15:12 Reply With Quote

I think you could disable javascript but that would affect more than just an auto refresh.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 439353 posted on 12-7-2011 at 15:37 Reply With Quote

That would effect the whole browser, wouldn't it? Not just the Drudge window?

I've been thinking that perhaps the thing to do is click on one of the links that interests me and "park" it there until I want to refresh, and then click the previous arrow when I want to go back to Drudge. It is a site that lets you go to the link in that window (not opening a new window for the link while keeping the Drudge window open).

I think I am more annoyed, than really inconvenienced.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.