Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Fake help with your PC calls
dr john
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: I want to go soaring

[*] Post 433813 posted on 5-5-2011 at 23:38 Reply With Quote
Fake help with your PC calls

I've had yet another one, saying they will help cure my slow PC.

Someone claiming to be from microsoft, yet again, phoned offering to remove viruses that I didn't have - for 60 for six months or 200 for lifetime support, plus sell me a windows update. Wanted me to install remote access software via a web site called ammy (dot) com. I was sooo bad at typing the url, they got frustrated with my typos but kept at it for several minutes, while I googled the site name, to see lots of other reports on these scammers (using software that does have a real use, but using it for their own benefit).

I told him I couldn't hear him clearly, so he called me a second time (more expenses for him) He got quiet excited when I said I'd clicked on the try it for free button on the web site, whispering a bit too loudly to his friend that I'd got to installing it. But as I wanted another cup of tea I got bored and I told him I was a computer consultant who advised people about scammers like him. He was daft enough to argue that he wasn't a scammer, and that I didn't know anything about computers - he got even more annoyed when I mentioned my degree in computing and accused ME of being a scammer. He told me to stay on line then proceeded to call me rude names and say that I was wasting his time. Poor little man, don't they have a proper database of those who tell them they know what they are up to? Perhaps I should have offered to build him one. But I took up 29 minutes of his time playing the bumbling PC user again.

Such fun.

Just say no as soon as they phone you and tell you to do anything with the PC (Or fake switching it on and waste some of their time if you like). Remember Microsoft will never phone you about your PC, nor will any other big name company.PS I feel sorry for those who write the software that these guys high-jack, as it must ruin their business reputation when people start associating them with the scammers.
Quaver
The Q

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

[*] Post 433815 posted on 6-5-2011 at 00:32 Reply With Quote

Thank you for wasting their timewaveysmiley
I just hope they don't phone my parents:(
waffler
Proud to be called a BRIT

Theme: KF Blue

[*] Post 433823 posted on 6-5-2011 at 01:57 Reply With Quote

Unfortunately , It is the older folks that fall for there scams .
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.