Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Paedophiles ...
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 428984 posted on 16-2-2011 at 09:22 Reply With Quote
Paedophiles ...

should be given the right to appeal against being on the 'Sex Offenders register' for life !! Apparently it is against their 'human rights' !

This proposal was on the BBC news this morning.

I am incandescent with anger at the the thought of that, should it ever be ratified. What about the rights of the children they have abused ? They, in the main, are adults and aware of what they are doing. Any swine who sexually abuses a child has forfeited their 'human rights' in my book by committing an inhuman act on a vulnerable person.

Once their guilt was established, I would put them in the stocks - with a notice announcing their crime - and see how long they would last !!
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 428986 posted on 16-2-2011 at 09:36 Reply With Quote

Except that I know of at least one case where the "established guilt" was overturned on appeal as the "children" involved had made the whole thing up in order to get compensation. If a passing off duty policeman hadn't heard them celebrating after the initial conviction the chap would still be on the register after serving time.

I think that like most other things each case would have to be considered on its merits. No blanket statement can be applied in every single case. It's not about human rights, it's about what's right.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 428987 posted on 16-2-2011 at 10:09 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae

I am incandescent with anger at the the thought of that, should it ever be ratified. What about the rights of the children they have abused ? They, in the main, are adults and aware of what they are doing. Any swine who sexually abuses a child has forfeited their 'human rights' in my book by committing an inhuman act on a vulnerable person.

Once their guilt was established, I would put them in the stocks - with a notice announcing their crime - and see how long they would last !!

See, that is the bit that worries me. When they talked about this on the radio this morning they used words like "fury" and "rage" which made me quite sad for the lack or reason and sense.

As MM said, not all cases are the same. Some are just plainly wrongly convicted, others may have other factors, for instance that that they are either no longer a threat due to some change or that mitigating factors were not given sufficient weight - and that does happen.

Rage, fury and anger seem to be very fashionable but are not condusive to justice and compassion. I do accept that some anti-social sexual drives are a real problem in that they may not ever be completely controlable. But each case ought to be considered - calmly and sensibly - on its merits.

Having the right to appeal does not mean that the appeal will automatically be successful.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.