Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Win 7 corrupt registry
dtr204

Theme: Mystic

Mood: eh...

[*] Post 415821 posted on 27-8-2010 at 04:58 Reply With Quote
Win 7 corrupt registry

Hello all, been quite a while. i trust everyone is well.

had a buddy drop of a laptop to me, complaining that after updating apps on his phone (via usb) and having said updater crash, that his computer was running intolerably slow

booted up to poke around and literally had to wait 20 minutes for windows to even load. after that even launching an application took several minutes.

booted to 7's repair mode and let that run for nearly an hour or so, finally came back saying that the problem was a corrupt registry, but that this could not be fixed automatically.

Unfortunately even after my constant pestering, no backup was ever performed on this machine.

I am by far an experience windows 7 user, but from some clever googling i believe i can possibly restore his registry from system32/config/regback. but you can't trust every thing you read on google :)

Anyone have any ideas before i do a clean reinstall on his box as punishment for not listening to me when i told him to back up his system??

Not sure of the exact version of 7 he is running because it took so long to try and check, but he upgraded from vista so im going to assume its home premium, and i do know its a 64 bit
Faolan
Super Moderator

Theme: Elegance

Mood: Hmm...

[*] Post 415822 posted on 27-8-2010 at 07:02 Reply With Quote

Just do a clean install, it'll save headaches. Regback does work if it's set up properly but most times it's just the first back up of when it was first installed.

If you're installing using upgrade media just use the Win 7 disk you don't need Vista install to do so and saves a lot of time/grief.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 415835 posted on 27-8-2010 at 14:17 Reply With Quote

I'm with SF there, I find that a quick reformat and re-load is far less stressful than trying to fix something that should not be broken, unless, of course it is a minor fix. It will also be a salutary lesson to said user if he has no backups. FWIW you could boot from a live CD and back up any critical data that way. If you need more specific instruction, get back to us and one of us will point you in the right direction.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.