Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Not able to Boot Hard Drives
miket
Familiar Face

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 410034 posted on 29-5-2010 at 10:55 Reply With Quote
Not able to Boot Hard Drives

Help is urgently required.

I have for a couple of years been running a Pentium dual core quad machine with dual boot operating systems, one XP and the other Vista. These had both been kept up to date with the latest service packs available.
When I started in Xp a few days ago it would not boot properly and after several attempts I was able to get into on safe mode, I shut down not being able to work on it at all and have not since been able to access it at all after that. I then fitted another hard drive and installed XP to this after I had disconnected the cables to the existing drives that were installed, all worked ok with the new OS, reconnected cables to existing drives and an error message states that they require formatting to be able to read them? I removed these drives and fitted an adapter to use as external hard drives and tried on an I 7 machine running win7 ultimate but this still shows the same error message, reformat?
Have these drives somehow lost their MBR and is this why I cannot read them, I have not to my knowledge done anything to them to bring on this fault and as they both contain a lot of data I would like to access and recover.

Any thoughts on what has happened and how I could rectify this would be most appreciated

Regards Miket.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 410038 posted on 29-5-2010 at 11:34 Reply With Quote

It does sound as though your drives may have died. Do you have access to drive testing utilities. Most MFGs produce model specific stuff which can, at least, direct you to a meaningful answer. Can you give us the bran and model number of the drives, we may then be able to give you some more meaningful input.
Faolan
Super Moderator

Theme: Elegance

Mood: Hmm...

[*] Post 410047 posted on 29-5-2010 at 13:05 Reply With Quote

Two things can see you see the drive in BIOS and/or DOS?

Have you run GetDataBack to see if there is any data?

Its sounds like a corrupted HD than a hardware failure, but it's hard to tell over a fora and really needs someone to have a hands on to try and fix this if you need data recovered.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.