Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Cpu Install
dtr204

Theme: Mystic

Mood: eh...

[*] Post 404300 posted on 21-2-2010 at 09:05 Reply With Quote
Cpu Install

Its been a bad week for computers under my influence.

Had a dvd-r drive go bad so i went to replace it. The cpu and fan were a bit in the way so i removed them without a second thought.

after all ways said and done i went to reinstall the cpu but it seems to be glued into the fan's casing. This makes it completely impossible to use the cpu casings unlock/lock lever, and extremely difficult to line up the pins.

am i overlooking something easy here, or would HP diliberatly make it impossible to reinstall the processor?

Its a Pavillion s5000 if that helps at all
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 404310 posted on 21-2-2010 at 14:11 Reply With Quote

The CPU is "glued" to the heatsink by thermal grease to ensure that the heat from the CPU is transferred away from it quickly and efficiently. You can remove the heatsink from the CPU but it is usually done before removal from the MOBO as it does have an "adhesive" quality. Typically, once installed, it is there for life! I'm surprised that you needed to remove the CPU to install a Drive.

Be warned that CPU's are very sensitive to static discharge and I'd not be handling the CPU in any other environment than a static free one. Good luck with it, just be careful. Don't forget to use fresh transfer compound when you re-attach the heatsink.
giron
Who Me? As if:)

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Inquisitive.

[*] Post 404312 posted on 21-2-2010 at 14:28 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by dtr204
This makes it completely impossible to use the cpu casings unlock/lock lever, and extremely difficult to line up the pins.

am i overlooking something easy here, or would HP diliberatly make it impossible to reinstall the processor?

Its a Pavillion s5000 if that helps at all

How did you manage to remove the CPU if you can't operate the unlock/lock lever with the CPU still attached to the heatsink?
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.