Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Question about RAM
CrazieMom
Full time Regular

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 402535 posted on 27-1-2010 at 22:29 Reply With Quote
Question about RAM

Ok, I have 1 gig of RAM in my computer 4@ 256 MB, I need more.

Model will support 4 Gig..

Not sure what type to get.

Tech support told me:

Four DDR2 (only) SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets Support for DDR2 400 MHz and DDR 333 MHz DIMMs Support for up to 4 GB of system memory

There are so many different types of RAM and they're all so similar.

There are several listed for my model and this is the only one that said 400 MHz.

1 GB DDR2 PC2-3200 400 MHz DIMM Memory - 240-Pin

Is this the righ one? I'll get 4 chips if this is the right stuff.

Also, my processor has no fan, just a heat sync and I'm a little worried about overheating... Old computer, manufacturer said it could take 512MB ram so I put it in and it overheated, locked up and burnt up the HD. I'm worried that if I max the RAM on this one the same thing might happen..

Any help would be great, I'd like to order it as soon as I can. Sometimes, a Gig is just not enough..
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 402542 posted on 28-1-2010 at 01:37 Reply With Quote

To answer your main question, yes it looks like you've picked the right one. As you're "Mom" rather than "Mum" I'm guessing you're in the USA. So, here is a USA site. So have a look here or Here

Or, you could use the Crucial tool at Crucial.com (Good, solid, reliable brand.)

However, I just want to pick up on a couple of your other comments whilst replying...

If you're running XP, generally XP copes with most things well enough with 1gb of RAM. (Unless using heavy load apps like modern Photoshop type things, video processing, or things like that?) Though obviously the more RAM the better, I doubt for 90% of the time you'll notice a massive improvement TBH.

What are your current system temps like with the fanless heatsink? (Especially under load.)

Overheatiing and killing the harddrive, would be slightly unusual. Not impossible, just unusual. Usually it'd kill the CPU and/or Motherboard. Or the PSU isn't man enough to supply the extra power. (Caveats apply etc.)

Is this a branded PC, if so, which one? It'd help pin things down a little easier for us is all.

Also, be aware 32bit operating systems like XP don't id 4gb RAM properly either, it'll probably only see around 3gb. If you're using a 64bit O/S then it'll be fine.

Often, cleaning up Windows will improve things, or even better, a clean fresh install of the O/S makes a huge difference. (Obviously after backing up any important files/folders/data to another location other than the Windows drive/partition.)

HTH's and not confused things too much. :D
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
CrazieMom
Full time Regular

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 402543 posted on 28-1-2010 at 02:28 Reply With Quote

The CPU's heat sync temp seems fine.. It has a funnel to it from the front fan and stays prety cool.. It's cool when I touch it..

Now, this on the other hand. What the purple arrow is pointing too, is very hot. I googled the motherboard and it lists what everything else on the board is except what that heat sync is for. Very irritating.

[bad img]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/Crazie_Mom/motherboard01.jpg[/bad img]

Yes, heavy graphics load. Graphics programs and I had to increase the virtual memory to work on the large things I make.
Also, Flash games. Those are a real killer.

These are the specs. It's a Gateway. It's a couple years old but it's still plenty fast enough that I shouldn't need to replace it for a few more years, hopefully.

Form Factor D915GSN: BTX Form Factor (11.2 × 10.5 inches)
Processor Support for an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor in an LGA775 socket with an
800 or 533 MHz system bus

# Memory Four DDR SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets
# Support for DDR 400 MHz and DDR 333 MHz DIMMs
# Support for up to 4 GB of system memory

Chipset Intel 915G Chipset, consisting of:
# Intel 82915G Graphics Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)
# Intel 82801FB I/O Controller Hub (ICH6)
# 4 Mbit Firmware Hub (FWH)
Video Intel GMA900 onboard graphics subsystem
Audio Intel High Definition Audio subsystem using the Realtek ALC860 audio codec
I/O Control LPC Bus I/O controller
USB Support for USB 2.0 devices
# Peripheral Interfaces Eight USB ports (six on back panel, two internal)
# One serial port
# One parallel port
# Four Serial ATA interfaces
# One Parallel ATA IDE interface with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support
# One diskette drive interface
# PS/2 keyboard port
# PS/2 mouse port
# Two front IEEE-1394a connectors
LAN Support 10/100/1000Mbits/sec LAN subsystem using Marvell® Yukon 88E8050 PCIe GbE
BIOS Intel/AMI BIOS (resident on the 4 Mbit FWH)
# Instantly Available PC Technology Support for PCI Local Bus Specification Revision

# Support for PCI Express Revision 1.0a
# Suspend to RAM support
# Wake on PCI, RS-232, front panel, PS/2 devices, and USB ports
# Expansion Capabilities Three PCI Conventional bus connectors
# One PCI Express ×1 bus add-in card connector
# One PCI Express ×16 bus add-in card connector
# Hardware Monitor Subsystem Hardware monitoring and fan control ASIC
# Voltage sense to detect out of range power supply voltages
# Thermal sense to detect out of range thermal values
# Three fan connectors
# Three fan sense inputs used to monitor fan activity
# Fan speed control

Those are for the standard model, I upgraded a couple things when I ordered it.. It came with 256 MB RAM but I upgraded to a Gig. Also it should have a video card and not onboard video. I looked in device manager to see exactly what it was and under display adaptors it has:

NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.