Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Great Feedmill
CrazieMom
Full time Regular

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 391850 posted on 29-10-2009 at 16:13 Reply With Quote
Great Feedmill

My son seems to have gotten Great Fedmill in his computer and it's hijacked his browsers. I've tried everythign and can't get it out.. Ran Adaware and A2 and neither found it. It has McAffee in it so I don't know about installing another antivirus that might uninstall that..

Can't find much online about it. One place suggested getting HostsXpert and choosing to restore MS hosting files. Seemed to work with the FF but not IE. FF may be affected again, every fix I've tried it seemed to work for a few clicks but started up again..

Cleaned out everythign I could, emptied prefetch folder just in case.. If it's in the registry I can't find it there with the search function..

It's driving me crazy...
CrazieMom
Full time Regular

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 391853 posted on 29-10-2009 at 18:56 Reply With Quote

Nevermind. It's hosed. It was intermeittently shutting down on it's own and restarting and would get as far as the desktop pic, no gray bar.. with a box saying loading then quickly going to saving setting then shutting down and then it would start over. Quick quick quick no way to do anything or stop it. Would have to cut power. Now that's all it does.. Tell it to start in safe mode, but it won't, just goes back to the screen to choose safe or normal startup and it won't start unless you choose normal startup and then the box and no way to stop it, just does that over and over...

Couldn't save anything, just have to reformat.. Stinks because none of the scanners I tried could find it..

That computer came with McAffee and that will NOT be going back into it!
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 391861 posted on 29-10-2009 at 21:25 Reply With Quote

Use Avast (Free or paid) or Avira (free or paid) as the AV.

Malwarebytes as the malware scanner.

SUPERAntiSpyware is also good, but not in the same league as MBam, IMHO.

Sorry nobody was about sooner to advise. Malwarebytes (MBam) may well have solved much of the issues, we'll never know now.

One good thing to come out of it though, McCrapee loses another client. Absolutely dreadful bit of software, again IMHO.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.