Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: In praise of cats?
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 390558 posted on 10-10-2009 at 23:24 Reply With Quote
In praise of cats?

What I'd really like is a dog but I spend too long away at work every day.

The teen rather fancies a kitten but I'm not so sure that they like long hours of solitude either.

Are they content to be by themselves for hours at a time?
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 390561 posted on 11-10-2009 at 00:15 Reply With Quote

I've always had cats, and we have two now, they cope fine on their own. It's a bit of a pain finding someone to feed them and clean the litter tray while you go away, but it's probably not much different to finding a dog sitter etc...

They can be great fun, especially when they're young and full of life, and they're good company too, if they end up being lap cats. (One of ours is more so than the other.)

If you like cats, don't mind the restrictions/responsibility that owning any pet can bring, then I can see no reason to not get one.

That said, we'd like a dog, if it wasn't for the extra work they bring...
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 390562 posted on 11-10-2009 at 00:19 Reply With Quote

My younger brother told me that cats are social animals, made to relate to other cats. They interact in a variety of ways. A cat that is forced to live without another will act abnormally. There should be two cats, minimum, if they are kept indoors.

I haven't verified his opinion, but it makes sense to me. My own family had a single cat, and he acted destructively when he was left alone for too many hours. Years later, we tried adding a kitten, but the kitten harassed the older cat all the time because he wanted to play, and the older cat did not have the energy or inclination to do so. We wound up giving the little kitten away so the older one, set in his ways, could have some peace.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.