Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: ADHD - learn to delay rewards
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 387379 posted on 1-9-2009 at 17:41 Reply With Quote
ADHD - learn to delay rewards

Quote:
Professor Rubia who has researched ADHD said her work showed such children did have serious problems with understanding time and an inability to delay a reward.

"This is clearly a medical condition, but it isn't right to bring them up in a system where they never have to wait. You're not making it any better for them - this is something they can be helped to learn.

"I can see why parents might like it, but in the long term you are not doing the child any favours. This is a condition which we can improve, and learning to wait should be part of that process."

BBC

There are those who wish children with documented ADHD to be able to skip the queue in, for example, theme parks. This is the opposite view based on research.

What do you think?
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 387388 posted on 1-9-2009 at 22:21 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100

What do you think?

I see plenty of unruly kids, and CBB parents itching to use to this as their latest weapon... lips_sealed
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 387417 posted on 2-9-2009 at 13:07 Reply With Quote

Were I a kid now, I, too would have been diagnosed as ADHD! This observation was made by my sisters who are some years older than I. I learned, and, luckily, grew out of it. They are doing no-one any favours by allowing such children an easy ride. It's like training a child to go to the toilet. If your recognize the signs, you can "toilet train" a child when you like, except when you are not there! Guess who is trained. Participation in sports is another area that attempts to compensate for shortcomings. "we only want them to have fun", is the catch cry, kids are naturally competitive and letting them play where they "always win" is not teaching them about life! Life isn't fair.... get over it!
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.