Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: The pen is mightier than the keyboard
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Online

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 385195 posted on 6-8-2009 at 19:23 Reply With Quote
The pen is mightier than the keyboard

A leader in national politics (but not himself an office-holder) was a guest on a radio show, and suggested that those who opposed the Democrat health bill should write their legislators, preferably with pen and paper, to ask them to take enough time to craft the bill and consider the issues carefully (which would delay it until after the August recess).

Part of the thinking is that bad laws have been rushed through under Bush and Obama under the cry, "This is an emergency! We have to pass this RIGHT NOW! We can't take time to read and discuss the bill." When garbage is hidden in legislation, time is its enemy, because people read it and find out it has bad stuff in it.

But something else, worth discussing--the leader specifically preferred handwritten snail mail. I think the idea is that large numbers of e-mails are too easy to generate, that politicians are suspicious that thousands of messages might trace back to a few computer geeks (especially if the messages say things they don't want to believe, perhaps).

Are their fears well-founded? Will anyone here admit that you have knowledge that would let you send a thousand e-mails in support of a policy?

Wouldn't normal anti-spam techniques block such efforts?

I sometimes get ads in my e-mail that urge me to contact my politican about this or that. If they have a suggested paragraph, I think, "If my guy gets hundreds of e-mails with the same paragraph, word-for-word, he'll discount it."

What do you think?

Am I correct in thinking that Parliament votes more in blocks, as the PM requests? In the US Congress, everyone can vote as he wishes (including against the party leaders), but a person who defies the leaders often will also find he will get no favors from them.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Online

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 385197 posted on 6-8-2009 at 19:28 Reply With Quote

Or, is the idea more along the following lines--a person who composes a letter and pays for a stamp shows that they care more?

Or, is a penned letter given more weight because it is more likely the person is older? Older people vote in higher numbers than young people, generally, in the U.S.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 385282 posted on 7-8-2009 at 12:35 Reply With Quote

A penned letter, or even a printed letter sent by snail mail, shows some thought. It means that this particular constituent cares enough to get off their backside and post a letter. E-mail has it's advantages, however, with the convenience, comes the risk that, as you've already suggested, mass mailing messages can be ignored as just so much "junk".
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.