Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Two Recommendations.
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 379714 posted on 12-6-2009 at 11:55 Reply With Quote
Two Recommendations.

Two books that I would recommend for anyone who wants be a writer and doesn’t know how to start. Both are by American authors, so some of the spelling/phrasing may seem unfamiliar, but they are both worth reading.

1) The Writers Idea Workshop, by Jack Heffron.

This author is editorial director of Clerisy Press, and has been a professional editor for more than 15 years. He is author of three books for writers - The Writer's Idea Book, The Writer's Guide to Places, and The Writer's Idea Workshop. A founding editor of Story magazine, he is two-time winner of the National Magazine Award for Fiction.

This is very much what it says in the title - a workshop. It helps the writer to develop ideas and expand on them. The book is divided into three parts, each with several chapters. It follows a logical progression:- you have an idea; you evaluate that idea; you do something with it. At the end of each chapter there are several ‘prompts’ - exercises that are really useful to follow.

It is published by Writers Digest Books at £10:99p and is worth every penny. ISBN1-58297-279-6

2) A Writers Book of Days, by Judy Reeves.

Judy Reeves is a writer, teacher and writing practice provocateur who “believes everyone has a story to tell and that it's our stories that connect us as human beings.” This was her first book.

When I first dipped into this one I was a little put off by the style, because it reminded me of those 1960s ‘happy clappy, touchy feely, self improvement manuals. I am more than happy to admit that I was wrong, and this has become one of the most useful writers aids that I own.

It is set out, as one would expect for a Book of Days, in a chapter for each month of the year. It is packed with good ideas, useful information, helpful quotes from established authors, and intriguing insights - such as:-
Alexander Dumas (elder) apparently colour coded his writing papers. Pink for non-fiction, Blue for fiction, and Yellow for poetry.

At the foot of each page there are four or five given topics to get you started - and into the habit of writing something each day, even if just a couple of sentences. Whether worked through from cover to cover, or dipped into to alleviate writers block - this is a useful book to have, and it puts the fun back into writing.

Published by New World Library at £13:18p. Worth its weight in gold. ISBN 1-57731-100-0
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 379732 posted on 12-6-2009 at 13:12 Reply With Quote

Thanks for those recommendations Nim. Should I become an author, I may well delve into those.
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 379734 posted on 12-6-2009 at 13:25 Reply With Quote

Could they possibly be 'sticky' somewhere as a reference ?
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.