Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Mother strikes a small child
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 377806 posted on 26-5-2009 at 06:53 Reply With Quote
Mother strikes a small child

At a commercial camping facility, a lady in my group heard a mother strike her small child (perhaps age 3) and yell at him in anger for no apparent reason. This happened in the shower facility. (She was using vulgar language in scolding him for not dressing well and fast--even though he was trying.) The struck child was crying.

A friend of mine who saw this complained to the woman to stop, and telephoned for the police to come, hoping to save the child from being beaten. She also got some of the ladies with our camping group to be with her.

The mother, in turn, telephoned the police to come to her aid, claiming that she felt threatened.

I'll pause at this point in the events. What do you think happened? Do you think my friend should have spoken to the mother, or telephoned the police? What would you have done?
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 377815 posted on 26-5-2009 at 12:59 Reply With Quote

Good grief, Scholar, you do throw them at us !

OK - firstly there is vast difference between a quick slap and a beating!

Secondly - I would not expect a three year old to dress himself unaided, and the place for him to learn/try is in his own home - not a public shower facility.

While I do not, and would never, condone 'beating' a child, I have been known to slap a leg if all else has failed, but not often and never very hard.

In my book there is never any excuse for vulgar language, it is completely unnecessary and only serves to inflame in a volatile situation.

Would I have called the police? If I believed that the child was in serious danger - then Yes, obviously I would, but for a Mum at the end of her tether, administering a slap? Not sure.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 377823 posted on 26-5-2009 at 14:30 Reply With Quote

From the situation you described, Scholar, calling the police seems a bit over the top. I'd be very suprised if they responded to the call. But in your description of the event, you say your friend heard the woman "strike" the child, which suggests that it was just a quick slap rather than a "beating".
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.