Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Scanning Photos
grayles

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: lurking

[*] Post 375151 posted on 3-5-2009 at 11:09 Reply With Quote
Scanning Photos

Hi,
I have some family photos that I want to scan before I give them back, I guess about 1000 of them. Some are very old as they were my grandmotherís collection.

What I would like to do is scan them all in, then try and sort them into order and possibly put names to faces with help from other family members eventually.

What is the best way to scan the old photos in?

Would I gain or lose any quality by scanning everything as colour photos, even the black and white ones?

What is the best file format to save the images in?

I would like to sort them into order and rename then and possibly attach notes to them, any suggestions of programs to make this easier?

I'm using Vista and my scanner/printer is a Lexmark p6350 all in one.

Thanks
Graham.
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 375155 posted on 3-5-2009 at 11:40 Reply With Quote

Redwolf is the man to ask I should imagine...
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
Faolan
Super Moderator

Theme: Elegance

Mood: Hmm...

[*] Post 375160 posted on 3-5-2009 at 11:50 Reply With Quote

If they are old and valuable I would ask a professional to do it, especially if you have any negatives.

The reason for saying this is that your scanner probably won't have the resolution or the software to remove the dust and scratches.

In addition they'll probably need retouching as well.

Best file format? For archival I would say TIFF is the best as that's a lossless format. Also scan the images as is don't change to monochrome. Some scanners handle monochrome better than others. As to archiving a good quality external HD and a internal HD to duplicate the images. CD/DVDs have proven to be unreliable for archival purposes.

Once you have them you will need a meta-data editor which most graphics app will allow to do. Meta-Data is the proper way to annotate images rather than embedding it into the image itself.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.