Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: WARNING !
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 368856 posted on 21-3-2009 at 13:37 Reply With Quote
WARNING !

Yesterday I received an email from one of my friends, or so I thought, when I opened it - it read like one of those jokey round robins, asking if I was fed up with substandard electrical stuff etc., finishing with "visit this website" and a link. As it was from a friend - I followed the link, thinking it would be the punch-line.

The website is a business page offering all kinds of bargains in laptops, notebooks etc.,.. Still thinking it must be some kind of joke - I emailed a reply to my friend asking if she had changed career.

She emailed straight back and advised me to do an immediate system restore. Apparently this is some kind of worm that reads/collects and uses email addresses. She and her partner share the same email address, and he uses ebay a lot, so she thinks his account on there may have been hacked. I have since run a virus/malware scan, and it had infected four areas of my PC - now clean and free again.

Hopefully it is just an advertising scam and has not done any lasting damage to my PC - but it is one to watch out for because it comes from genuine email addresses.

In the 'subject' box it just said 'Dear friend ...', (and she is nutty enough to put that!) in the 'From' box it had my friend's genuine email address, or I would not have opened it.
waffler
Proud to be called a BRIT

Theme: KF Blue

[*] Post 368859 posted on 21-3-2009 at 14:11 Reply With Quote

Thanks for the heads up :)
Quaver
The Q

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

[*] Post 368860 posted on 21-3-2009 at 14:15 Reply With Quote

Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.