Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: magicJack telephone device
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 363794 posted on 26-1-2009 at 05:32 Reply With Quote
magicJack telephone device

I have been watching a TV commercial for magic Jack, which appears to be a USB device into which one can plug a telephone. The commercial says that for $19.95, one gets a year of otherwise free telephone service in the US and Canada over the internet. The computer must have a high-speed connection. A lifetime telephone number comes with the magic jack. The magic Jack can be plugged into any computer with a high-speed internet connection--it doesn't have to be plugged into the same computer each time. The initial cost of the magic Jack is $39.95 plus shipping and handling. The first year of service comes with the purchase of the magic Jack.

Has anyone tried this device, or another like it? Is there something like it across the ocean? Does it work as advertised?

Of course, since I don't have a high-speed internet connection, I'm not in a position to get it. But, if I could get something (say, a cable modem connection), and then not have to pay a monthly land-line phone bill, could I save money?

The first potential problem I can think of. . . . would my magic Jack phone number be a non-local number? Would others in my town have to pay a long-distance rate to call me?
Theravad
Super Moderator

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Indigo (dark)

[*] Post 363798 posted on 26-1-2009 at 08:38 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar

Has anyone tried this device, or another like it? Is there something like it across the ocean? Does it work as advertised?

Personally I use Skype. With skype in (gives me a normal telephone number) and skype out subscription I get free UK calls and very low cost ( 2c per minute ) calls world wide.

No the skype in number is not local (that does not matter in the UK). Any friends on skype can call me on that for free. I can logon into skype wherever I am in the world and people can phone my London number and get me.

Seems a bit more versatile than a USB stick?

Just a thought.

T
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User Theravad's Aim Theravad's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Theravad's Yahoo
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.