Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Boot up problem
Pete Hill
Familiar Face

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 360250 posted on 19-12-2008 at 16:16 Reply With Quote
Boot up problem

First of all, MERRY XMAS EVERYBODY, and apologies for the lack of detail for this post.
My partner has brought a pc home from her nursery which will not complete the POST boot phase.
We get one short beep then a clicking noise for a couple of seconds and after completing some of the boot-up a message "network boot aborted, press any key to continue". Pressing a key then leads to "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". The pc was donated to the nursery and there is no sytem disk or recovery disk whatsoever for the pc.
I have reseated the RAM and video cards to no avail.
Have also looked in BIOS and the boot order is HDD1, HDD2, HDD3. I set first boot to HDD0 but this also made no difference.
There are no floppys or disks in the pc.
Is there anything else I can do without any recovery disks?
Thanks
Pete
Topcat
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Hopeful.

[*] Post 360253 posted on 19-12-2008 at 19:17 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Hill
First of all, MERRY XMAS EVERYBODY, and apologies for the lack of detail for this post.
My partner has brought a pc home from her nursery which will not complete the POST boot phase.
We get one short beep then a clicking noise for a couple of seconds and after completing some of the boot-up a message "network boot aborted, press any key to continue". Pressing a key then leads to "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". The pc was donated to the nursery and there is no sytem disk or recovery disk whatsoever for the pc.
I have reseated the RAM and video cards to no avail.
Have also looked in BIOS and the boot order is HDD1, HDD2, HDD3. I set first boot to HDD0 but this also made no difference.
There are no floppys or disks in the pc.
Is there anything else I can do without any recovery disks?
Thanks
Pete

At a guess I would think the computer was part of a networked system which it is trying to find.

Presume you have tried to get in via safemode.
It could also be a sticking key on the KB, can you try another

Without any back up disks you may well have to Format the drive and start again.

Not good news, but others may offer more

Topcat.
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 360280 posted on 19-12-2008 at 21:48 Reply With Quote

As TC said, it's looking to boot a network device. However, if you've since changed this to boot to the HDD then I would guess the HDD may be gone...

Does the HDD show in the BIOS at all...? (I assume one is actually installed and connected?)
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.