Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Today's PC repair project - I think I won?
Theravad
Super Moderator

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Indigo (dark)

[*] Post 358655 posted on 29-11-2008 at 16:59 Reply With Quote
Today's PC repair project - I think I won?

My main office PC has a noisey PSU - not noisy in the acoustic sense but it is missing a lot of EMC filter componant (cheap tat) and so it inteferres with my HF radio reception.

I bought a new PSU (more expensive) and also a dual layer DVD writer.

I was going to fit it together last week but did not have a spare SATA cable.

Today I had all the cables so did opened it up and replaced the PSU and DVD writer. Put it back together and it booted - for about a minute and then broke.

I have re-jiggled all the connectors and now it is back running (no post beeps for a bit) and now burning 8Gb onto a DVD as a soak test.

Looks like it may of survived :) I hope the glitch was temporary - the DVD write should be a good soak test.

T
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User Theravad's Aim Theravad's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Theravad's Yahoo
Theravad
Super Moderator

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Indigo (dark)

[*] Post 358657 posted on 29-11-2008 at 18:01 Reply With Quote

Well teh DVD burned OK - except it did not validate. Not sure how reliable it is to write a 6.5Gb file though :(

T
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User Theravad's Aim Theravad's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Theravad's Yahoo
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 358671 posted on 29-11-2008 at 21:39 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Theravad
Well teh DVD burned OK - except it did not validate. Not sure how reliable it is to write a 6.5Gb file though :(

T

Using Nero, and it's validate thing...? If so, I never found that very accurate myself...
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.