Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Ethics - impairment
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 353255 posted on 13-10-2008 at 22:58 Reply With Quote
Ethics - impairment

The custodial parent is deaf and uses sign language although she can lip read really well. She conducts most of her business over the internet where an ability to speak is not required. She runs a successful business which provides financially for both herself and her child.

The child is also deaf but an operation with a high chance of success is available. This operation if successful would allow the child to have normal hearing. The child can use sign language already and is due to start school next year. The mother feels that putting a child through an operation so that the child conforms to society norms would not be in the best interests of the child.

The non custodial parent can use sign language but wants his child to have the operation as it would, in his opinion, be in their best interests in the long run. He also wants the child to attend a mainstream school rather than one which caters exclusively for children with a hearing impairment. The father has visitation rights and lives near the mother. He also provides some financial support. Other than this one area of disagreement, the parents have a fairly positive co-parenting relationship.

What would be in the best interests of the child?
Quaver
The Q

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

[*] Post 353256 posted on 13-10-2008 at 23:07 Reply With Quote

Do the Op? There's so many good music out there:D
Dreamweaver
The Phantom....

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Empty....

[*] Post 353258 posted on 13-10-2008 at 23:12 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
The custodial parent is deaf and uses sign language although she can lip read really well. She conducts most of her business over the internet where an ability to speak is not required. She runs a successful business which provides financially for both herself and her child.

The child is also deaf but an operation with a high chance of success is available. This operation if successful would allow the child to have normal hearing. The child can use sign language already and is due to start school next year. The mother feels that putting a child through an operation so that the child conforms to society norms would not be in the best interests of the child.

The non custodial parent can use sign language but wants his child to have the operation as it would, in his opinion, be in their best interests in the long run. He also wants the child to attend a mainstream school rather than one which caters exclusively for children with a hearing impairment. The father has visitation rights and lives near the mother. He also provides some financial support. Other than this one area of disagreement, the parents have a fairly positive co-parenting relationship.

What would be in the best interests of the child?

I think irrespective of how it helps the child in school, the operation may help her later in life(if successful),
As a parent my ideal would be to help my child, I really don't care if it goes against my beliefs( and my disabilities)

If the operation fails(although a slim chance), she already sign language to help.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.