Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: New York's Cardinal Egan on abortion ethics
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 347080 posted on 28-8-2008 at 18:04 Reply With Quote
New York's Cardinal Egan on abortion ethics

"What the Speaker had to say about theologians and their positions regarding abortion was not only misinformed; it was also, and especially, utterly incredible in this day and age.

In simplest terms, they are human beings with an inalienable right to live, a right that the Speaker of the House of Representatives is bound to defend at all costs for the most basic of ethical reasons. They are not parts of their mothers, and what they are depends not at all upon the opinions of theologians of any faith. Anyone who dares to defend that they may be legitimately killed because another human being ?chooses? to do so or for any other equally ridiculous reason should not be providing leadership in a civilized democracy worthy of the name."

No mention is made of any political party or any public election, and the Cardinal is far from any convention. Satisfied? :)

I was impressed with this expression, not only because of its clarity and strength, but because it asserts this ethical teaching as independent of opinions of theologians.
Dreamweaver
The Phantom....

Mood: Empty....

[*] Post 347082 posted on 28-8-2008 at 18:10 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
"What the Speaker had to say about theologians and their positions regarding abortion was not only misinformed; it was also, and especially, utterly incredible in this day and age.

In simplest terms, they are human beings with an inalienable right to live, a right that the Speaker of the House of Representatives is bound to defend at all costs for the most basic of ethical reasons. They are not parts of their mothers, and what they are depends not at all upon the opinions of theologians of any faith. Anyone who dares to defend that they may be legitimately killed because another human being ?chooses? to do so or for any other equally ridiculous reason should not be providing leadership in a civilized democracy worthy of the name."

No mention is made of any political party or any public election, and the Cardinal is far from any convention. Satisfied? :)

I was impressed with this expression, not only because of its clarity and strength, but because it asserts this ethical teaching as independent of opinions of theologians.

Actually no Scholar, I see no links for what could be copyright material. If you can;t source the information then I will pull this thread.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 347089 posted on 28-8-2008 at 19:15 Reply With Quote

The material is not copyrighted. It is news, which anyone can report.:)

I did not include the article on which I saw it, because the writer who quotes Cardinal Egan makes some comments which have bearing on a U.S. election, and my desire was to post about the religious and ethical comments only.

The page was http://www.townhall.com./blog/ The article moves down the page as new articles are added.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.