Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: She gave up everything--Kelci Bryant, US diver
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 345303 posted on 11-8-2008 at 02:36 Reply With Quote
She gave up everything--Kelci Bryant, US diver

Is the sacrifice that Olympic athletes make, worth it? Some athletic competitions can prepare a person for a commercial career in the sport. But, is it worth it, if they will never make a living at it?

I was thinking about this after I saw a video clip of Kelci Bryant, one of the US synchronized diving team. The US hired a former Chinese coach, who copied their method. The Americans in training had to LEAVE THEIR PARENTS BEHIND AND MOVE TO TRAINING IN INDIANAPOLIS. Kelci said, "I've given up everything. I left my family behind. I literally have no friends--only the people on the team.":(

Imagine that! In one's formative years, a person with few friends can get by OK with a strong family, and a person without a strong family can get by with good friends--but what if you have neither? If your only possible friends are people thrown into the same abnormal training situation as you?

Kelci said she has prepared for TEN YEARS. After a person stops competing in synchronized diving, what do they have to show for it? Can they get a college scholarship? I don't see how it would help them get a job (except training the next ones).

Kelci Bryant and her partner came in fourth. For her ten years, she got no medals.:(

What do you think?
Quaver
The Q

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

[*] Post 345305 posted on 11-8-2008 at 03:22 Reply With Quote

If she wanted to do that, then that was her choice. She gave her best shot. OK no medals, but she doesn't have that life long 'what if';)
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 345308 posted on 11-8-2008 at 04:19 Reply With Quote

But she does.
What if-- she had made friends in high school, who would be her friends for the rest of her life?
What if-- she had dated a few boys in high school, learning social confidence in a dating situation, perhaps helping her resist giving herself too completely to one of the first few guys to date her after her diving is over?
What if-- a program of more well-rounded studies, combined with school clubs and hobbies, had helped her establish that she wanted a career in which she could make a good living for the rest of her life?
What if-- her first several experiences with alcohol were safer because of parents in her life-environment?

If it happens that she loses either of her parents before many years pass, I predict she will regret her decision. And she might very well feel the same way, even had she won some medals.

[I should perhaps disclose that, because of my exceptional ability in science, mathematics, language arts, and general academics, various universities wanted me to attend and pursue other degrees and specialties. I would not be so well-rounded today if I had chosen another path. I expect I would have a better salary, but I doubt I would be spending so much time visiting the sick, etc.]
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.