Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Artistic licence versus beliefs
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 345182 posted on 9-8-2008 at 18:51 Reply With Quote
Artistic licence versus beliefs

The release of The Jewel of Medina a debut novel has been put on hold, apparently indefinitely.
Article

Quote:

Random House said it had been advised the book "might be offensive" to some Muslims, and "could incite acts of violence by a small, radical segment."

"We decided, after much deliberation, to postpone publication," it added.

The decision was taken "for the safety of the author, employees of Random House, booksellers and anyone else who would be involved in distribution and sale of the novel," said the company's deputy publisher Thomas Perry in a statement.

The novel traces the life of A'isha, who is often referred to as Muhammad's favorite wife, from her engagement at the age of six, until the prophet's death.

Do you think that cartoonists, novelists, artists etc should be prevented from using people with religious connections in their works? (I'm not meaning Islam in particular here.)
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 345183 posted on 9-8-2008 at 19:03 Reply With Quote

Maybe we should set fire to Dan Brown for writing 'Angels and Demons' and 'The Da Vinci Code' then, as both of those paint a less than perfect picture of the RC faith. They could subvert thousands of impressionable people!

Seriously though - the world is going mad - rapidly!! The author has said that she did not write 'sex scenes' or anything disrespectful about the Islamic faith. Where do you draw the line ?
janet
Mismatched shoes

Theme: Forest

Mood: Devastated

[*] Post 345188 posted on 9-8-2008 at 20:10 Reply With Quote

I think it's worth noting that it was the publishing house that took the decision - not the author, not anyone in the Islamic community... knee jerk reaction?

As for Dan Brown - wry grin - I'd love to say it was too laughable to be believed (the Q source held in the Vatican??) but unfortunately, there are people who will believe anything. :{
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.