Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Multicast audio streaming
Theravad
Super Moderator

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Indigo (dark)

[*] Post 338952 posted on 7-6-2008 at 17:08 Reply With Quote
Multicast audio streaming

I am trying to get piped music about the place as background noise for a large gathering.

The idea was:

MP3 playlist (MPU) --> VideoLanPlayer --> Mulicast UDP stream to 224.1.1.1 say.

This is OK and for machine connected either in the main network switch or in the router switch ( remote over an ethernet over powerline bridge) and thus I can have the same music playing in two buildings....BUT.......

The router is also a wireless router and any device connected to the wireless does not get the multicast (Netgear DG854G).

I am assuming that the router will not take the multicast from a LAN port and spit out on the WiFi connection?

Any ideas anyone otherwise I will have to buy another ethernet over power adapter to pick up the multicast by the HiFi.

T
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User Theravad's Aim Theravad's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Theravad's Yahoo
SRD
rantipole

Theme: Calm

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 339029 posted on 8-6-2008 at 07:41 Reply With Quote

I think I'm surprised that it won't take the multicast, surely it's just a stream of information in the same way as, say, receiving a fax. Maybe you need to work out the settings for the router. I don't know if you know Pot-head Pixie over at T? Some find him difficult to get on with but he talked me through setting up my DG834G.

I realise you know more about these things than I do, and that I might just be blethering on, but I have been known to spark the flame that eventually reaches the correct solution even if it has been because I've been totally wrong. :D
Theravad
Super Moderator

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Indigo (dark)

[*] Post 339052 posted on 8-6-2008 at 18:04 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
I think I'm surprised that it won't take the multicast, surely it's just a stream of information in the same way as, say, receiving a fax.

Thanks for the heads-up, I have managed to crack into the router firmware (built on busybox linux) but it is limited to what you can do. I do not think this version lets multicast traverse from LAn to WiFi - later versions of the router do :(
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User Theravad's Aim Theravad's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Theravad's Yahoo
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.