Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Kathryn and Peter Tickell
SRD
rantipole

Theme: Calm

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 337341 posted on 26-5-2008 at 20:15 Reply With Quote
Kathryn and Peter Tickell

To the Assembly Rooms in Bath to see Kathyrn and Peter Tickell. A lovely gig with Kathryn playing the fiddle and Northumbrian pipes and her younger brother Peter the fiddle and guitar. Beautiful haunting tunes of the Northern fells and valleys and foot tapping dances, an occasional song and monologue and some startlingly innovative pipe tunes from the likes of Billy Pegg, a Northumbrian shepherd who listened to any music he could find on the BBC World Service and used the influences he heard there to compose his own tunes (think a piping version of yodelling for instance) as well as Kathryn's own superb compositions. A tremendous talent who still appears as unaffected as a girl singing in the street.
Her younger brother makes a perfect foil for her and although steeped in the same traditional roots as his sister also lists Jimi Hendrix, Talking Heads and The Pixies as influences.
Between them they played non-stop for an hour and a half and the time flew by. I can't recommend them too highly, for their consummate musicianship, their wonderful material and their lovely, easy manner.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver
Member Is Online

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 337398 posted on 27-5-2008 at 13:41 Reply With Quote

You certainly do seem to have access to far more good entertainment than I have down here. I suspect that my nearest major centre, Adelaide, despite its well regarded festival of arts, is still too small to attract a reasonable cross section of good acts. Its population is only just over 1 million people, heck the entire stat is only 1.5 mil.
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 337401 posted on 27-5-2008 at 13:53 Reply With Quote

Sounds wonderful SRD, I had not heard of them - but will certainly look out for them in future. I do like the Northumbrian Pipes.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.