Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Ubuntu Programs
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 334938 posted on 7-5-2008 at 14:58 Reply With Quote
Ubuntu Programs

My Linux box is not connected to the 'net yet so every program that I need to install must be downloaded on my windoze box and transferred across the network.

My issue comes with the fact that each module seems to have so many dependencies that I spend half the night downloading one, transferring it across, attempting to load it only to find that it relies upon another program that I then need to download........etc.

Is there an easier way? i.e. Can I download a zip file of a program and all dependencies? Where from?

My initial impressions of Ubuntu, once through the pain of laoding apps is that it seems much sleeker than Windoze so I'd like to persist.
hawklord
Full time Regular

Theme: Purple

Mood: serene

[*] Post 334958 posted on 7-5-2008 at 16:42 Reply With Quote

hi,

i think your best bet would be to go online with ubuntu,
i had the same problem at first with mandriva and then thought - "gotta be an easier way" - there is, its the 'net
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User This User Has MSN Messenger
Theravad
Super Moderator

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Indigo (dark)

[*] Post 335006 posted on 7-5-2008 at 22:13 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens

Is there an easier way? i.e. Can I download a zip file of a program and all dependencies? Where from?

You could use the installation CD that you used to install the software in the first place (should be the first repository it checks). Otherwise go-online (and make sure you firewall is running on the box).

Quote:

My initial impressions of Ubuntu, once through the pain of laoding apps is that it seems much sleeker than Windoze so I'd like to persist.

And if you have a decent graphics card is nice to show off with the GL desktop ( Compiz or somesuch ) which gives you something akin to the Aero(?) fancy interface in Vista only better :)

T
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User Theravad's Aim Theravad's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Theravad's Yahoo
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.