Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Transferring programs to an external hard drive
TooCute4Words
Look..its me again

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Just plain busy!!!

[*] Post 334519 posted on 4-5-2008 at 20:53 Reply With Quote
Transferring programs to an external hard drive

Hi,

I bought a 500 gig external hard drive, as I was running out of space on my computer, basically using it for vids and pics, etc...

But

I was wondering whether I could also copy (programs) on my computer also?

When I click on Start then Control Panel then on the 'Pick a category' page - I click Add or remove programs and a list of all of the programs that I have on my computer is listed. All in alphabetic order - with the size in 'megabytes' of how much space they take on my computer.

But if I wanted to make a copy of each of the programs and then transfer it to my 500 gig external hard drive (just in case my computer went wrong) How would I go about it?

Also, if I could do that, how would I copy them back to my computer (in case I bought a new one) lets say?

All help would be appreciated thanks :)
SRD
rantipole

Theme: Calm

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 334528 posted on 4-5-2008 at 21:19 Reply With Quote

Programs that actually do things are generally better on the main system as the transfer time between an external drive and the PC may make using the application a right pain, by all means keep your work on an external drive.
TooCute4Words
Look..its me again

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Just plain busy!!!

[*] Post 334546 posted on 4-5-2008 at 21:48 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Programs that actually do things are generally better on the main system as the transfer time between an external drive and the PC may make using the application a right pain, by all means keep your work on an external drive.

I understand what you are thinking. You are thinking that I wish to house my programs on the external drive instead of my laptop computer. I don't want to do that, what I want to do is have a back-up, just in case my computer went seriously wrong and I lost everything on my computer :(

I just want to be able to have everything that I have on my computer, also in a copy form on my external drive.

When I bought the external drive and looked at the instructions, it says Save your life That comment is soooo true. I want to have everything backed up - just in case, I just need to know how to go about it - thats all?

One day, I was faced with that horrible (Blue screen) shocked_yellow I thought I had lost everything
crybabymecrybabymecrybabymecrybabymecrybabymecrybabymecrybabymecrybabymecrybabyme
crybabymecrybabymecrybabymecrybabymecrybabymecrybabymecrybabymecrybabymecrybabyme

Luckily, system restore got it all back for me :):):)thankingyouhailyhaily

But one day I could NOT be so lucky :(
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.