Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Pygmalion
SRD
rantipole

Theme: Calm

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 333771 posted on 30-4-2008 at 20:22 Reply With Quote
Pygmalion

Last night we went to the Theatre Royal in Bath to see the Peter Hall direction. It was excellent, Tim Piggott-Smith made a good Higgins, he played it as a cross between the enthusiastic academic and a spoilt child which worked well, especially in the scenes with his mother, well characterised but not so well played by Barbara Jefford. James Laurenson caught Pickering very well, the mix of Indian Army officer and enthusiastic academic well balanced by the 'gentleman' that the character undoubtedly is. Una Stubbs was a surprisingly good Mrs Pearce, her background in dance coming through well now that she is a more mature, and probably more attractive, woman, enabling her to move elegantly in the costume. The Eynesford-Hills were suitably vapid and managed not to interfere with the story, and Tony Haygarth made an excellent Alfred Doolittle, at least, I thought so, the rest of the audience weren't so enthusiastic. And so to Michelle Dockery as Eliza, I'm not completely convinced about her performance, she lost the cockney occasionally, but the artificial, robotic, middle scene, the '..not bloody likely...' one, actually worked very well and she conjured up an evocation of the original 'Galatea', statuelike, not yet fully conversant with her new role, and her growing into the 'new role' as an educated woman was also well accomplished.
The sets were thoroughly suitable, dressed with the requirements of the plot and not getting too overblown with uneccessary props (although a lamp was knocked over in one scene prompting an unscripted, and uncharacteristic "Oops" from Stubbs) and the lighting was unobtrusive, another plus as far as I am concerned.
Costumes were on the whole good, and again suitable, although at one point the VPL of a thoroughly modern pair of knickers was obvious on Miss Dockery, which was a shame because otherwise her costume was very good, highlighting the changes as her education continues.

In general an excellent production which carried Shaw's words extremely well and, apart from a slight over-statement of the characters and an over-emphasis at the end when Higgins became very much the small child suddenly aware at what he had lost, pretty true to what I understand Shaw's intentions for the piece to have been.

The play transfers to the Old Vic on May 7th. and I think it's worth seeing.
Redwolf5150
Mighty Faerie Hunter

Theme: KF Arctic Blue

Mood: Call Me GRANDPA!

[*] Post 333778 posted on 30-4-2008 at 21:02 Reply With Quote

Ever consider doing theater reviews for a living?

You'd get to get into shows for free.

The downside is you get into the BAD shows at the same price.

:D
SRD
rantipole

Theme: Calm

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 333843 posted on 1-5-2008 at 07:15 Reply With Quote

Actually I get into a lot of shows free anyway as I go as my wife's carer.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.