Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: 2nd Network Connection on Vista
BritishGent
New User

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Mildly Miffed

smile.gif Post 332412 posted on 23-4-2008 at 13:05 Reply With Quote
2nd Network Connection on Vista

Hi there.

I have recently purchased a 2nd pc and wish to run it on Vista which came with it (currently am using my xp pro os).
What I ideally want to do is have 2 Ethernet connections on that machine, 1 being routed to the Internet and the 2nd routed to network only, I do not want to go direct pc - pc but via a second router, with xp I set this 2nd Ethernet on ipx/spx and unchecked tcp/ip all was fine, 2nd Ethernet connection does not handle Internet traffic, my problem is now i do not how to do this in vista as ipx/spx is not supported, so could anybody out there tell me how to make a 2nd Ethernet connection in vista local only and not Internet.
Thanks in advance.
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User BritishGent's Aim BritishGent's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger BritishGent's Yahoo
Theravad
Super Moderator

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Indigo (dark)

[*] Post 332446 posted on 23-4-2008 at 15:09 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by BritishGent
Hi there.

I have recently purchased a 2nd pc and wish to run it on Vista which came with it (currently am using my xp pro os).
What I ideally want to do is have 2 Ethernet connections on that machine, 1 being routed to the Internet and the 2nd routed to network only, I do not want to go direct pc - pc but via a second router, with xp I set this 2nd Ethernet on ipx/spx and unchecked tcp/ip all was fine, 2nd Ethernet connection does not handle Internet traffic, my problem is now i do not how to do this in vista as ipx/spx is not supported, so could anybody out there tell me how to make a 2nd Ethernet connection in vista local only and not Internet.
Thanks in advance.

I guess you should be able to configure the firewall to only accept/send packets on the local network ( 10.0.x.x or 192.168.x.x ).

otherwise, if you are accessing the internet via a router/NAS (a good idea), then you configure the router to block any packets from the MAC address of the Vista box essentially only allowing it to access the local net?

T
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User Theravad's Aim Theravad's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Theravad's Yahoo
Theravad
Super Moderator

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Indigo (dark)

[*] Post 332447 posted on 23-4-2008 at 15:10 Reply With Quote

ps: If Vista is anything like other versions of windows, the amount of control you have over multiple networks etc.. will depend on the version you have - probably with little change of Vista-home handling multiple NICs - I may be wrong ;)
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User Theravad's Aim Theravad's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Theravad's Yahoo
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.