Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: His Dark Materials
SRD
rantipole

Theme: Calm

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 330471 posted on 15-4-2008 at 07:49 Reply With Quote
His Dark Materials

We went to the Theatre Royal, Bath last night to see the Young People's Theatre production of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. A fabulous production, brilliantly performed by these relatively young actors. I can't fault it, the costumes, the puppetry, the scenery, the acting, the interpretation of the books (based on Nicholas Wright's National Theatre adaptation although Pullman contributed at workshops as well), the lot. Presented in two plays, the first starting at 2.00pm the second at 7.00pm, giving us a couple of hours for a reasonable meal at Café Rouge, it was a great way to spend half a day escaping from the trials and tribulations of real life.
It would be invidious to pick out individual performances as 'best', but I must mention a handful; Evvy Miller as Stelmaria, Lord Asriel's daemon, slunk, purred and insinuated her way around the stage, the very apotheosis of a snow leopard, Leah Elston-Thompson as the youngest Lyra, Tom Shaw (A Gyles Brandreth look-alike who played the part as if he was GB) as Lord Boreal, although I'd love to know what happened to his daemon when he was in Will's world, Jethro Smith in his main role of Iorek, roared and thundered like a real polar bear, Jonathan Chorley as the younger Will and the three harpies, with their triple breasts dripping blood, flew magnificently around the stage, in fact all of the flying was good.
Many of the cast took on several roles, but it still had a troupe of the best part of 150. A tremendous production, if you live within striking distance of Bath, go see these kids, they are brilliant.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 330475 posted on 15-4-2008 at 08:17 Reply With Quote

Excellent stuff, Simon. Loved the books and would have loved to have seen this production.
DMWright
Familiar Face

Theme: KPCH Default

Mood: Bah, Humbug!

[*] Post 330479 posted on 15-4-2008 at 08:51 Reply With Quote

Sounds cool, I've only ever read Northern Lights hope the production was better than a certain lame movie ...gonna have to read the other two books at some point.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.