Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Rev. Jeremiah Wright, of Trinity United Church of Christ
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 326143 posted on 18-3-2008 at 16:27 Reply With Quote
Rev. Jeremiah Wright, of Trinity United Church of Christ

[note: this church is not part of the "United Church of Christ" denomination, it is just a similar name]

This church reportedly has 8000 members. It is predominantly black in membership (but not exclusively).

Rev. Wright's sermons are routinely videotaped, and members or other interested people can purchase the tapes. I understand parts of his sermons have been posted to youtube.

Some of Rev. Wright's sermons show racism and a hatred for America. He has been at this church for several decades. Here are some quotes from sermons:

Quote:
The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three strike law, and then wants us to sing God Bless America? No, no, no. Not God Bless America, God damn America, that's in the Bible, for killing innocent people. God damn America for treating us citizens as less than human.

Quote:
We bombed Hiroshima. We bombed Nagasaki. And we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye. We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians, and black South Africans. And now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back into our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost.

Quote:
. . .and cares what I'm going through, who cares about what poor people have to put up with, who cares about what a poor, black man has to face every day in a country and a culture controlled by rich, white people. Somebody missed that. You got nervous, because we've got some white members here. I'm still in Bible country. I'm still in the text. Jesus was a poor, black man who lived in a country, and who lived in a culture that was controlled by rich, white people. The Romans were rich, the Romans were Italians, which means they were European, which means they were white, and the Romans ran everything in Jesus' country.

He has also said that whites in America developed the AIDS virus and are responsible for it killing black people. He has called this country the U.S. of KKK America (KKK=KuKluxKlan, an anti-black, anti-Jewish, anti-Roman Catholic organization that has a history of using violence and intimidation against others) and the United States of White America. He has said white greed keeps blacks in need.

This sounds mostly like racist hate-mongering to me: cursing America, blaming America for the September 11 attacks, and calling Jesus "a poor black man" in contrast to rich white Romans. shocked_yellowI hope everyone here is informed enough to know that Jesus is Jewish.

I have listened to people discussing him and his statements on call-in radio programs, and I am appalled at how many people have called in to say, "Rev. Wright is telling the truth. The government DOES import drugs so they can arrest black people and put them in prison. . ." etc.

I am shocked that such a LARGE congregation espouses such hateful positions in this century. Out of thousands of members, I would have expected dozens of members, at least, to have set the pastor straight when he says such outrageous things.

Have you ever heard such things in a Christian church?
What do you think? What is your reaction?
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 326151 posted on 18-3-2008 at 16:50 Reply With Quote

Well, look,

There are some obvious ridiculous statements there but there are some interesting semi-truths.

Its obviously true that America killed more people when they dropped the nucliar bomb on Japan than died in the recent terrorist attacks.

Its true that America has sponsored insurrection in Central America and Cuba. Its true that America has kept some pretty dispicable despots in power when it has suited them - including Sadam.

It would be good if people were able to look at things from a calm objective perspective and accept even those axioms that hurt.

I think your preacher is a good example of someone choosing things that suit his argument and ignoring other things including the truth when it doesn't.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 326197 posted on 18-3-2008 at 21:00 Reply With Quote

In my denomination, if a pastor made manifestly false statements in his preaching, he would be corrected by denominational authorities.

It may be that some gentle correction and guidance, earlier in life, may have helped Rev. Wright tremendously.

This is not to say that evil should not be denounced. But, it should be done with care to get the facts right.

The sermons that do me the most good address where I need to repent and hold on to Christ for forgiveness, not where the pastor is delivering a broadside bombardment against others.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.