Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: More confirmation for the Out of Africa thesis
janet
Mismatched shoes

Theme: Forest

Mood: Devastated

[*] Post 322163 posted on 22-2-2008 at 15:39 Reply With Quote
More confirmation for the Out of Africa thesis

Here This is another study of genetics that seems to lend weight to the idea that humanity began in or near Africa and spread out from there...
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 322173 posted on 22-2-2008 at 17:38 Reply With Quote

Since there is no "location tag" on genes, I wonder how such an idea could possibly be established. I could certainly see how commonalities or variations in genes might show that the present population of Africa has the most overlap, or is the best candidate for the source population having lived there. But,how could anyone know that was the beginning, the first place they lived? That a source population did not first live elsewhere, then move to Africa?

[Some thread drift, here, but this reminds me of an Afro-American student organization at a state university. They were unwilling to allow any white students to be members. The ones who sought membership were, indeed, Afro-Americans--they were whites who had been citizens of South Africa, but later had become American citizens.greengrin greengrin greengrin ]
SRD
rantipole

Theme: Calm

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 322178 posted on 22-2-2008 at 17:51 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Since there is no "location tag" on genes, I wonder how such an idea could possibly be established. I could certainly see how commonalities or variations in genes might show that the present population of Africa has the most overlap, or is the best candidate for the source population having lived there. But,how could anyone know that was the beginning, the first place they lived? That a source population did not first live elsewhere, then move to Africa?
Archaeological evidence shows human existence in Africa earlier than other places in the world, genetic testing of those remains can show matches with current genetic profiles. Ok, there is the possibility that remains lie elsewhere but the spread of humanity from Africa is well known and there is little evidence to suggest movement from elsewhere.
Quote:

[Some thread drift, here, but this reminds me of an Afro-American student organization at a state university. They were unwilling to allow any white students to be members. The ones who sought membership were, indeed, Afro-Americans--they were whites who had been citizens of South Africa, but later had become American citizens.greengrin greengrin greengrin ]
An interesting story, but I can't for the life of me see the relevance to janet's original post, this wouldn't be a blatant attempt at hijacking a thread to suit your own prejudices would it scholar?
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.