Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Would you replace a 5amp fuse with a 13amp fuse?
TooCute4Words
Look..its me again

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Just plain busy!!!

[*] Post 321567 posted on 19-2-2008 at 19:53 Reply With Quote
Would you replace a 5amp fuse with a 13amp fuse?

Imagine having an electrical appliance, like a 'lamp' or a 'cd player', and suddenly the fuse blows...for whatever reason and you need to replace it. BUT>>> the dead fuse you take out is a 5 amp fuse, but you only have a 13 amp fuse lying around the house.

QUESTION: Would you put a higher ampage fuse in because it's convenient. Or would you go out and buy the correct fuse, which is indeed safer imo.

I ask this question, as my two-prong plug which is used for charging my shaver blew it's fuse and it contained a 1 amp fuse, which I thought didn't exist? as I thought that a 3 amp is the lowest, anyroads...luckily we had a box of fuses and we had one. I would have been concerned with changing it to a 3 amp even...just to be on the safe side.

Any thoughts?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 321573 posted on 19-2-2008 at 20:22 Reply With Quote

The first issue to address is, why did the first fuse blow? If there is a short circuit in the device, it must first be fixed. If I fixed it, and had confidence it was not likely to happen again, I might put in a larger fuse (if only on a temporary basis).

But, you can't just pop in a replacement while the problem that melted the first fuse still exists, or the new one will melt as well.

My willingness possibly to make a substitution is influenced partly by my tight finances. If I were Mr. Moneybags, I would buy a whole assortment of fuses to keep handy.:)
TooCute4Words
Look..its me again

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Just plain busy!!!

[*] Post 321576 posted on 19-2-2008 at 20:36 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
The first issue to address is, why did the first fuse blow? If there is a short circuit in the device, it must first be fixed. If I fixed it, and had confidence it was not likely to happen again, I might put in a larger fuse (if only on a temporary basis).

But, you can't just pop in a replacement while the problem that melted the first fuse still exists, or the new one will melt as well.

My willingness possibly to make a substitution is influenced partly by my tight finances. If I were Mr. Moneybags, I would buy a whole assortment of fuses to keep handy.:)

Well in regards to my shaver plug...well basically I just layed out 80 on a Maxtor 500 gig external drive for my laptop - due to me running out of memory on my computer. A bit over the top - I must admit? as I will never fill it...but what the hell, haha!! It solves my problem in that department thankfully.

Anyroads, I bought the external drive and plugged it into my shaver socket as it had a two plug thingy and nothing happend, so I realised I had messed up. 12volt into 12volt don't go...If you understand my meaning? probably not lol :D (At least the way I explain it) :P Anyway, in the process of doing that, the 1 amp fuse blew, so I replaced it.

My concerns are about replacing it with a higher ampage, as like you say...there could be a short or something else wrong, so the same ampage of fuse has to be safer, as the wire in the centre of the fuse is thinner, a 13 amp is much thicker than a 3 amp so naturally safer imo
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.