Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: "Awake" during an operation
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 321476 posted on 19-2-2008 at 02:11 Reply With Quote
"Awake" during an operation

I understand a new movie "Awake" follows the premise that a woman undergoes an operation and is awake, in spite of the anesthetic--and she learns some alarming things.

Last night's TV news included an interview with a woman who had the experience of an operation in which she was fully aware and had sensation, but was paralyzed.

She had a C-section. She heard the anesthesiologist say "She's out"--but she wasn't. She felt the cut, like a burning sensation. She said the proceedure was extremely painful.

It has been about six years, and she still has nightmares about it.:(

There is a brain wave monitoring device that can detect the patient's reaction if he still has sensation, but many hospitals don't use them.

The reporter said this happens about once in 14,000 operations. That is a very small amount. But, think of how many operations are done all over the US or the UK in a year's time. Or, to put it another way, would you suppose it happens to a few people every week?
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 321482 posted on 19-2-2008 at 04:27 Reply With Quote

I woke up during an op many years ago, when I was 13yo. It was over in seconds though, thankfully.

I remeber stirring, and feeling much, much pain, then hearing someone say "he's coming round" and then somebody lifted the oxygen mask off my face, told me to relax, and the next thing I knew I was back in the side room, and coming round, and in agony once more!

I also have regular visits to the Day Case Unit, under sedation, and I've stirred on many occasions during that as well. So much so, they now have to give me "extras" to stop me from struggling during the procedure...

It's a great life, eh...! :D
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 321487 posted on 19-2-2008 at 09:44 Reply With Quote

Damn!

Now I'll be thinking about this all day!

Thank you, Scholar.

John
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.