Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Spirt, soul, body
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 321367 posted on 18-2-2008 at 16:42 Reply With Quote
Spirt, soul, body

I copied these from another topic that was not in the RSE forum
Quote:
Originally posted by janet
Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Pedant! I'll qualify it! Apart from SOL! Our sun!

There is often discussion about what God's image is. Our Pastor was fond of saying "We are a Spirit, We have a soul, and We live in a body". If this is true, then the image of God will be of a spiritual nature and not physical. I'll leave it at that as this is not meant to be an RSE discussion.

Wry grin - I'd disagree with your pastor pretty profoundly about that but not in this thread. :)

. . .
Quote:
Originally posted by janet
Ah, no, that's not what I meant - I meant that I see humanity as a composite being, body and soul, rather than as a soul inhabiting a body.
(edit to remove theological musings).

Of course, those quoted are not under any obligation to continue the discussion here; I merely invite them to do so.

I follow a fairly classical formulation of each human being having a material part (body) and an immmaterial part (spirit or soul), with the immaterial part being the essential self, while the body is accidental (something non-essential, something that can be removed or changed without loss of self). [Explanation of scholastic terms for benefit of the gallery.]

Would either of you care to explain your thinking, or to illustrate it from Scripture? :)
janet
Mismatched shoes

Theme: Forest

Mood: Devastated

[*] Post 321369 posted on 18-2-2008 at 16:46 Reply With Quote

I follow the idea that humans are composite beings - body and soul - hence the resurrection of the body.

If the body is not an essential part of the human person, I don't see much need for the incarnation.

I'm also not interested in a long thread swapping biblical quotations, nor in trying to prove anyone else wrong.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 321375 posted on 18-2-2008 at 17:12 Reply With Quote

I would like to suggest that the Incarnation was necessary for Jesus to obey God's Law for us, "to fulfill all righteousness." Much of what He came here to do required Him to have an ordinary human body (e.g. resisting temptation).

If one's body is an essential part of one's being, what about the conditon between death on earth and resurrection? If a person cannot be human without a body, wouldn't that mean they would cease to exist as a human person?

It seems reasonable to me to think of the body as a non-essential, removable part, restored and changed in the Resurrection. I would compare it to a person who has a hand cut off in earthly life--they are still the same person that they were, as they continue to live from day to day without it, but the hand will be restored in the Resurrection.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.