Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: transfer programmes from xp to vista pc?
tkfmmaxi
New User

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 320168 posted on 10-2-2008 at 21:43 Reply With Quote
transfer programmes from xp to vista pc?

Ok before you all say back up to cd/dvd ..i cant! my writer is not being recognized for some reason on my old system.So what is the best way to transfer all my programmes/ ie CS3, lightroom, And a few others that i have purchased and want to put onto my new Vista system.I was thinking of using my external HDD to move files from xp system to vista system would that work ...or even better can i take out the HDD from my old system and install it into the new 1?/. Problem being with that is my new pc is RAID ?, so i,m not sure how to add my sata drive to it...and of course the old HDD is from an XP system....any advice would be a great help thanks

max!
confused2 confused2 confused2
Wilbur
Custom User Title

[*] Post 320174 posted on 10-2-2008 at 22:07 Reply With Quote

I may be wrong, but just transfer all the stuff you want to keep on a spare 'storage' drive (sata/IDE............Vista like XP doesn't care what drives you have) and then once Vista is up and running, switch off (yep you know that already...:D) and plug in your spare drive.
Raid will continue as normal, but the spare drive will just be recognised as just that......another drive with its drive letter.
I rarely back up stuff to CD/DVD and shove things onto a spare Sata Maxtor 120GB drive........things like updated gfx/sound/chipset drivers for XP and Vista, plus the usual photos, prog's, games etc so that they are available once I have formatted and installed XP or Vista........I do the install first and then plug in the storage drive and install the drivers etc from there.
I have 4 Sata drives, one with XP, one with Vista, one storage, and one XP drive purely for playing BF2142, and just boot with whatever drive I fancy using......:D
tkfmmaxi
New User

[*] Post 320205 posted on 11-2-2008 at 07:57 Reply With Quote

Thanks for that tip wilbur .Think thats the way i,m gonna do it!. I like the idea of keeping 1 HDD for game only might do that with COD 4!!:)
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.