Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: partition help
kalc

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

[*] Post 319828 posted on 8-2-2008 at 19:51 Reply With Quote
partition help

i had to fdisk my drive and remove an old partition. i then had to create a new partition to format drive c:...

my pc used to run windows xp till it crashed and i got loads of errors...i want to reinstall xp...i reinstalled me and then want to use my home upgrade but my drive size has now gone from 250gb down to 2...what do i do??

thanks
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 319861 posted on 8-2-2008 at 21:31 Reply With Quote

Try booting with the XP disc, and delete the partitions and then re-create them, during the XP setup process. (During the Blue DOS screens, when it asks what drive you want to use for XP...)

I suspect, that your drive might have been formatted under NTFS previously, and when you used Fdisk, it didn't see the NTFS partitions, and has now shrunk your drive... (Just a thought... I could be wrong)

Alternatively, try using DELPART to delete the partitions, and then use the Windows CD to format them, and see what happens...

I'm assuming the XP Upgrade disc is bootable...?

Or, you could download the M$ XP startup disks, from M$ HERE by following the appropriate link...
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 319901 posted on 9-2-2008 at 11:24 Reply With Quote

Fdisk does have issues with large disks. As Daz has said, boot from the XP disk, IIRC, with an upgrade version, it will ask for your old OS disk if needed during the setup. Have a read here: http://www.karlsforums.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=26905
this will give you a good rundown of reloading your OS, just skip the bits that don't apply.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.