Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: School grading problem
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 319472 posted on 6-2-2008 at 19:43 Reply With Quote
School grading problem

A District 150 school teacher with a reputation as an excellent teacher determined that one of her students had earned a C, and gave that grade. The student's parents complained; they wanted the grade changed to a B. The teacher would not change it. The parents continued to be dissatisfied, and pursued their complaint further. The principal upheld the teacher. The parents were still dissatisfied, but the District Superintendent (the superior of the principal) also upheld the original grade and teacher.

Finally, the parents complained to the District School Board, which is made up of citizens elected by resident voters in the school district. They voted to change the student's grade from a C to a B, over-ruling the teacher, principle, and superintendent.

On the face of it, this seems outrageous to me. Or perhaps a more accurate term is STUPID.

Grades are assigned according to what students earn, by virtue of their homework and examination scores. How in the world would a school board better know what grade a student should get?

And, if that student's grade is raised to a B, what about all the other students whose work had earned an equal grade? Shouldn't their Cs become Bs?

And, everyone whose work was one grade better than that student, shouldn't they all be moved up one grade? And what do you do with those whose work was two grade-ranks better; you don't have a grade option higher than an A. What do you do with them?

What do you folks here think? What do our education people think?
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 319473 posted on 6-2-2008 at 19:46 Reply With Quote

When I taught in the States we had an A+ which was earned when the paper was perfect or went above and beyond what was expected.

I think that this set a dangerous precedent. Potentially, all students who dislike their grade will appeal the result. In fact, I hope that's what happens and the DSB are called to second guess papers from 8 a.m till 5 p.m every day.
SRD
rantipole

Theme: Calm

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 319483 posted on 6-2-2008 at 20:58 Reply With Quote

Too much damned democracy.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.