Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: $7.14 billion loss by French trader
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 318194 posted on 27-1-2008 at 00:33 Reply With Quote
$7.14 billion loss by French trader

Times CNN link

This article has little information.:(

If fraud was involved, must the bank honor the trades?
SRD
rantipole

Theme: Calm

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 318213 posted on 27-1-2008 at 08:35 Reply With Quote

It couldn't afford not to, the damage it would do to the whole trading system would cause so much loss of faith.

Actually I'm not too happy with it being called fraud, although no doubt some geek will give me chapter and verse from the rule books, as the perpetrator of the actions hasn't gained himself. I think it's very much a re-run of the Nick Leeson affair that caused the collapse of Barings a few years back. A junior member of staff managed to bypass the checks and then couldn't get himself out of the position he found himself in and didn't have the guts to come clean but tried to continue trading his way out of trouble, making the same bad decisions that caused his problems in the first place.

This throws up all sorts of questions; do SG have a share of the blame as their checks weren't adequate? If the deals had been a success would the perpetrator still be considered a fraudster? Looking at the possible downside, as evidenced by these two perpetrators, do those successful traders actually earn the phenomenal money they earn?
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 318240 posted on 27-1-2008 at 12:54 Reply With Quote

It becomes fraud, when he knowingly bypasses the security protocols. If he managed it by mistake, attempting to cover his mistake by continuing to try and trade his way out of trouble without putting up his hand and saying "I'm in trouble here" becomes fraud.

You are right, though, Simon, the bank could ill afford not to honour the trades.

Quote:
do SG have a share of the blame as their checks weren't adequate?
Yes!
Quote:
If the deals had been a success would the perpetrator still be considered a fraudster?
Interesting point, but, at law, yes. The question becomes "Would the bank choose to prosecute?" Sadly, I'd think, No!
Quote:
Looking at the possible downside, as evidenced by these two perpetrators, do those successful traders actually earn the phenomenal money they earn?
Yes, have you attempted to follow the markets? Stress, stress, and more stress. In case you haven't had enough stress, then the trading starts!
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.