Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Are copyright laws unclear?
TooCute4Words
Look..its me again

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Just plain busy!!!

[*] Post 317145 posted on 20-1-2008 at 13:10 Reply With Quote
Are copyright laws unclear?

Youtube was bought by Google for $1.65bn (883m) in late 2006 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6034577.stm

But when Google took over, it is apparent to many big companies who have had their videos copied illegally by individuals, who then upload them to Youtube. That these companies could sue Google for a lot of money, especially as Google could afford to pay the hefty fines quite easily.

It's pretty much highlighted here, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6038116.stm

Anyway, they have sorted a deal out with many big companies and now many videos can be posted legally. However, any people still do it. Music videos especially!!!

Of course, if anyone complains, Youtube will remove the video and if you do it three times in a row, then your account gets suspended immediately and permanently. :(

But it is easy for someone to set up another account in moments with a hotmail/googlemail/yahoomail/whatever and pick a new name and do it again later on. This is common practice.

Now you could say, why doesn't Youtube take each member who breaks the law on copyright to court and sue everyone? Now if they did that, they would make Billions of pounds. But that would also cause a bigger problem. I don't think I really have to explain what that is, do I?

The same thing applies to pictures and articles on the web. If you don't have permission to use it, then you shouldn't copy it, as it is an infringement.

The whole thing is a farce really and something should be done regarding this. There is plenty of pictures and videos and letters/articles/etc.. which are available on the web for anyone to copy and use where and when they please. Also, there are even more which you can copy for yourself, basically anything really? But many do copy pics/vids/written stuff and copy it and paste it somewhere else on the web.

So what is the real answer??

1) Sue everyone who breaches copyright?

2) Sue those who infringe copyright repeatedly, even after being warned?

3) Sue those who copy millions of stuff and make profit from someone elses work?

4) Let everyone off and say, "What the hell"??

5) Have more information available, so we all know what we can use and what we can't?

Let's face it. Everyone copies on the web, Billions will use Youtube/Myspace/Facebook/Google/etc.. and amongst them will be copyright infringements.

I think the whole thing needs looking at closer and for someone suing an individual who has copied a few pictures and an odd video or three without prior permission is real petty and unfair in comparison to what still goes on, on Youtube and the like...
Dreamweaver
The Phantom....

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Empty....

[*] Post 317155 posted on 20-1-2008 at 13:48 Reply With Quote

Pre moderated uplinks would work, Hard work I know but they chose to take that road....
TooCute4Words
Look..its me again

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Just plain busy!!!

[*] Post 317165 posted on 20-1-2008 at 14:19 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver
Pre moderated uplinks would work, Hard work I know but they chose to take that road....

I guess the only way really is to assume that everything is copyright protected on the web, unless it's on Photobucket or something?

If I added a picture which I had on my photobucket account, would you allow it to be shown here? Or do you try to investigate where it originally came from? I mean, everybody's avatar here could be copyrighted? It's hard - I know, but it's a damn hard task to get it all right.

I know hosting sites like Aventure and Dreamhost, etc.. have tons of smallprint in their terms of service and it's frightening really. It's enough to make anybody panic. I guess they just have to cover themselves legally and their customers to. Naturally they will use their discression.

I wonder how Youtube manage to do what they do?

Copy a clip of Trinny and Susannah and post it to Youtube without prior permission is illegal. But nobody is really going to say YES!! but nobody is going to complain really? Or might they?? I guess it come down to acting only on complaints.

I just wish they'd make it simpler :(

'Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law' so they say? But lack of information staring people right in the face is generally not there. I mean, who bothers to read all the small-print on everything?

They could argue 'common sense prevails' or the law is there to protect & prevent, but also to keep the balance, in case of massive offenders.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.