Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Sky basic broadband
marylee
Familiar Face

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 316677 posted on 17-1-2008 at 17:12 Reply With Quote
Sky basic broadband

Anybody using sky broadband on this forum? I am thinking of going with sky for free bb. My pc is a dell dimension 5150, I understand I need a usb adapter. Pl can anybody tell me the difference between TP-Link 54 Mbps wireless adapter and the 108 Mbps? Which one should I get?

How is easy to set up the wireless router? Master socket is in the hall and another phone extension is in bedroom near the computer. It will be a problem if I have to connect router in the master socket as there is no electrical point near the phone. I am not sure how I am going to do that. People are saying you should connect to master socket.

I am also concerned about securing the wireless router. Is it a matter of just inserting the cd in the drive and follow the instructions?

Thanks
Big-Ray
Washerman

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: DILLIGAF

[*] Post 317490 posted on 22-1-2008 at 16:27 Reply With Quote

Hi Marylee, not a bloomin clue sorry, but hopefully some knowledgeable peep will pick up on this.
I'm a sucker for seeing a post with no reply.

Sorry couldn't be more use............:)
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User This User Has MSN Messenger
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 317621 posted on 23-1-2008 at 12:58 Reply With Quote

I'm not familiar enough with your system or supplier to be more than generic.

You can plug your router into any telephone socket, as long as the cabling/sockets are in good condition. As far as the model router is concerned, typically, the faster, the better, but it also relies upon your ISP, if their fastest speed is only 64Mbs then the 108 would be overkill, however, if there is an option for a faster speed, you may want to upgrade at a later date, then the faster, the better. Setup, should be, as simple as plugging in the CD and following the instructions, security, is a little more complex. Your normal AV/Firewall/Antiscumware, packages are still required, but some tweaking of the modem will also be beneficial, and I am not comfortable enough with that to offer any more advice.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.