Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Presumed consent?
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 316064 posted on 13-1-2008 at 10:04 Reply With Quote
Presumed consent?

Do you think that the rules on organ donation should be changed so that we need to opt out of the list rather than opt in?

Are people who do not opt in at present just too busy to get around to filling in the form, or it is that they are still not comfortable with the thought of being incomplete when buried?

article
TooCute4Words
Look..its me again

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Just plain busy!!!

[*] Post 316069 posted on 13-1-2008 at 10:40 Reply With Quote

My mother and father both have Multi-Donor cards which basically means that they are willing to give any part of their body away when they die. They have suggested that I should get one to, but I am rather superstitious about it and choose to have all parts of my body - 'organs and all' in tact. Even though they shall all end up in flames once the incinerator goes to work and I get cremated. :(

I think it's just superstition really that stops people from doing it. Or perhaps lazyness or a 'couldn't care less' attitude - one of the three
SRD
rantipole

Theme: Calm

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 316073 posted on 13-1-2008 at 10:56 Reply With Quote

I don't really have a problem with opt out rather than opt in as long as one's wishes are followed.
I think it is true that a larger number of people would be donors but haven't got round to, or have a superstition about, actually signing up.
As a community we also need more donors, if for no other reason than to reduce the excuse for genetic experimentation.

However, I will be opting out as I don't trust the medical profession:
An enthusiastic surgeon, who knows that he may well be able to successfully treat a patient with a donated organ, may well justify the shortening of another life (who hasn't long to go anyway) to reach that end.
I already have some difficulty with the medical profession's definition of death.
I don't think that the decision on life or death should be the responsibility of the doctors treating the patient.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.