Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Islamic iconoclasm
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 315927 posted on 12-1-2008 at 19:33 Reply With Quote
Islamic iconoclasm

Warming--this article includes pictures of a mosaic of Mohammad and a frieze of him.

article

The discussion points out that Islamic spokesmen object to any picture or statue of Mohammad, not just among themselves. (Perhaps this would be analogous to Christians who object to degrading images of Jesus in art, but the religious principle has some differences, since ANY image of Mohammad is a problem (even ones intended to honor him).

Quote:
As for statues, the Buddhas of Bamiyan tell that sad story, as AFP reported at the time:

“Based on the verdict of the clergymen and the decision of the Supreme Court of the Islamic Emirate (Taliban) all the statues around Afghanistan must be destroyed. All the statues in the country should be destroyed because these statues have been used as idols and deities by the non-believers before. They are respected now and may be turned into idols in future too. Only Allah, the Almighty, deserves to be worshipped, not anyone or anything else.”"Based on the verdict of the clergymen and the decision of the Supreme Court of the Islamic Emirate (Taliban) all the statues around Afghanistan must be destroyed. All the statues in the country should be destroyed because these statues have been used as idols and deities by the non-believers before. They are respected now and may be turned into idols in future too. Only Allah, the Almighty, deserves to be worshipped, not anyone or anything else.”

Where would you have the West draw the line in self-censorship to please the Islamic world? Caricatures of Mohammad? Pictures of Mohammad? The grand John Singer Sargent portraits in the MFA and Met?

What do you think?
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 315942 posted on 12-1-2008 at 20:24 Reply With Quote

If they find it offensive, why would you want to do it?
janet
Mismatched shoes

Theme: Forest

Mood: Devastated

[*] Post 315946 posted on 12-1-2008 at 20:32 Reply With Quote

My understanding was that such representations were rarely, if ever, accepted in many Muslim communities.

If I wish to ask for respect for my own religion (and I do), surely I owe that same respect to other religions?
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.