Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Decent Servers that can deal with heavy loads
TooCute4Words
Look..its me again

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Just plain busy!!!

[*] Post 315793 posted on 11-1-2008 at 20:50 Reply With Quote
Decent Servers that can deal with heavy loads

I would love to have my own forum one day and Avril Lavigne being the subject matter, as perhaps you've noticed - I'm a fan ;)

Some people who start forums and wish to have a server and connect their forum to their server start off okay, but quite a few make a real success of it and members come flooding in - not to mention all those guests, "Thanks to Google", it can get quite busy. Then you find your forum getting bigger and bigger. Members start loading videos and other things I suppose and you start needing more band-width and your forum gets slower and there are things called (downtime) and other problems and your forum can end up grinding to a hault and mysql errors start popping up to your members and the server you choose cannot handle your busy forum which requires more band-width or whatever?

Basically, the question I am asking, is, when it comes to looking for the right server, where do you look and how do you know which is the right one that suits your needs?

I guess it's easy when a forum connected to a server is quiet, but if it turns out being busy later on, then you need to find the right one to start with, so you don't run into problems later on and have to change servers and transfer your forums data to another server, which I have heard is a massive task.

I am no expert at this, so any help would be appreciated.

I am thinking on XMB forums by the way.

My future Avril forum needs the XMB touch, which I have come to like. :D
Daz
Custom User Title

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

Mood: w00t - Lge1 :-))

[*] Post 315833 posted on 12-1-2008 at 01:23 Reply With Quote

I'd start off by looking for cheap deal to start with, and see how the site develops...

I've used Dreamhost for the last two years (voucher codes) and they've been excellent, for my needs.... And cheap which is more important!

1and1 used to have a good name, not sure if they still do, I saw something not favourable about them a short while ago, but that was the only negative comment I'd seen/heard...

I know a guy that can help, he's got his own dedicated kit in the US, but it depends on what you're after...

When you know what you want, space and bandwidth wise, PM me, and I'll pass on his details...
View User's Profile View All Posts By User Daz's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger Daz's Yahoo
Faolan
Super Moderator

Theme: Elegance

Mood: Hmm...

[*] Post 315860 posted on 12-1-2008 at 09:42 Reply With Quote

The host that deals with these boards do well considering it's traffic...
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.