Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Expert help on Multi OS using cloning needed!
KOUROSH
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

mad.gif Post 314969 posted on 6-1-2008 at 12:29 Reply With Quote
Expert help on Multi OS using cloning needed!

windows get corrupted and to make the life a little bit easy to myself i want to have three windows on my pc so when one gets corrupted or infected i use another window and when i have time i format the corrupted window and using cloning method, reinstall a new window in that partition .

i have paragon partitioning in which i can clone one partition on other partition. i would like to knwo from those who have patitioning software and have some experty in this field, to tell me if patitionmy hard drive to four partition,
C: partition (main window which will be used for cloning others)
D: partition (second window xp)
E: partition (third window xp)
F: partition (this partition will be used for storing data only NO prog)

C partition will be the main OS. it is formatted then i will install window xp and all of my prog on this partition and use this one for cloning D and E partition . i end up with three windows OS on my 160 GB drive (theoretically i still do not know and that is why i am putting thread).

is this possible or not?? or to have three windows i have to install window three times and install all prog on each partition.confused2

your help will be much appreciated.
Theravad
Super Moderator

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Indigo (dark)

[*] Post 314972 posted on 6-1-2008 at 12:54 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by KOUROSH

i have paragon partitioning in which i can clone one partition on other partition. i would like to knwo from those who have patitioning software and have some experty in this field, to tell me if patitionmy hard drive to four partition,
C: partition (main window which will be used for cloning others)
D: partition (second window xp)
E: partition (third window xp)
F: partition (this partition will be used for storing data only NO prog)

is this possible or not?? or to have three windows i have to install window three times and install all prog on each partition.confused2

This sounds (sort of) what I do.

I generally have a Windows partition, a linux partition and a data partition. Occasionally I boot into a CD boot image and make an image of the bootable partitions on the data partition (and then backup those images to DVD).

You can clone a partition to another partition and boot form the clone. You have to manage the boot sector on the disk to let it know there are other paritions to boot. As windows is a bit dump about this, I use the GRUB boot loader.

So I thing the answer to your question is:
(1) You can clone partitions to other partitions on the same disk (as long as the target partition is at least as large as the image you are trying to load)
(2) You can boot any of these partitions if you configure your bootloader
(3) remember to backup a partition image otherwise you may need a complete re-install if the disk gets corrupted (I also have a utility that backs up the partition table but that is another story).

T
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User Theravad's Aim Theravad's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Theravad's Yahoo
KOUROSH
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 314975 posted on 6-1-2008 at 13:08 Reply With Quote

Theravad many thanks, that is some good news at least but what is bootloader and how do we configure a multil OS. please tell me more!!!!!

i forgot to say that i will not use drive C . i will only use that one for cloning other partition it will be left untouched .assuming virus does not infect it???
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.