Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: External hard drive doesn't want to play.
dr john
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: I want to go soaring

[*] Post 314245 posted on 1-1-2008 at 18:22 Reply With Quote
External hard drive doesn't want to play.

So I finally bought an external USB hard drive to use as a back-up device. A Seagate FreeAgent 320Gb drive.

I plugged it in and a little notice flashed up saying new hardware, then Seagate FreeAgent. So I opened Windows Explorer, and the drive wasn't there. I re-booted and the drive wasn't there.

I right clicked on MyComputer and clicked on Manage and then on Disk Management. The Seagate was there, plain as day.

I right clicked on the Seagate in Drive Management and made it active. I right clicked on it again and selected Open. And was told that I wasn't allowed to open it due to restrictions and to speak to the system administrator. But I'm the only user and I'm the sys admin, and listed as such!

I've tried a driver update, but it says every time I have the latest driver, and I've re-booted a few times, and even uninstalled it then rebooted (it gets detected again when I do that).

I have a tiny external USB hard drive that does get recognised, but it's only about 2 Gb, and for transferring data.

Any suggestions on how to make this plug and play device usable??

I thought I'd try here first rather than that other place (although they are helpful over there).

(XP Pro)
Topcat
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Hopeful.

[*] Post 314248 posted on 1-1-2008 at 19:24 Reply With Quote

A basic thought, you make no mention of "formatting" / partitioning doesn't it need that before Windows will recognise it.

Did you not have any instructions with it.

Topcat
dr john
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: I want to go soaring

[*] Post 314251 posted on 1-1-2008 at 20:21 Reply With Quote

The instructions say plug it in, use it. That's it.

It is recognised as an active partition, formatted to NTFS, straight out of the box. But Explorer can't see it, neither can any other program (only the Disk Management in Computer Management reports it's there, as well as Windows at boot time).
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.