Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Scanner software problem
dThrmn
New User

Theme: Elegance

Mood: mellow

[*] Post 313985 posted on 30-12-2007 at 17:52 Reply With Quote
Scanner software problem

I bought a new computer, an eMachine with Windows XP SP2 installled. Everything seemed lovely until I started to put the software for my HP printer (Photosmart 8450) and HP scanner (Scanjet 3970) in. This software worked fine using Windows 98. If I install the software for the printer, I cannot open the desktop icon for the HP Director at all, it just blinks, that's it. If I open the "HP Photo & Imaging " icon my desktop screen goes blank, then come on really big and fuzzy. When I close the "HP Photo & Imaging" my screen returns to normal. O.K., so remove the program for the printer. The same thing happens when I install the software for the scanner, which is almost identical. HP is no help, they don't have e-mail help anymore, their phone help is only open Mon-Fri during Pacific Time Zone business hours and I can't find the solution on their website. The new Kodak unit is looking good at this time. :) Any ideas? Thanks in advance, I'll try anything. David
Theravad
Super Moderator

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Indigo (dark)

[*] Post 313990 posted on 30-12-2007 at 18:00 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by dThrmn
I bought a new computer, an eMachine with Windows XP SP2 installled. Everything seemed lovely until I started to put the software for my HP printer (Photosmart 8450) and HP scanner (Scanjet 3970) in. This software worked fine using Windows 98. ........
. :) Any ideas? Thanks in advance, I'll try anything. David

Chances are the software, since you installed it on Windows 98, does not work on XP.

Check the HP web site for updated driver software that will work with XP. There are various compatibility kludges that can make some Win95 software work on XP but with resident drivers that is a bit more difficult - check for updated drivers.

T
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User Theravad's Aim Theravad's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger Theravad's Yahoo
KOUROSH
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 314000 posted on 30-12-2007 at 21:12 Reply With Quote

your best solution is to go line and type HP they have a very excellent customer service 24 hours, you can click on support and troubleshooting give the details of your product then follow the rest , tell them what the problem they will tell the most likely cause and solution. a lot of hp product need patches in order to work with window xpsp2 some even have difficulty working with IE7. HP have patches and you have to make sure they are properly installed .

from my personal experience your driver for hp was not properly installed you have to uninstall delete any software on desktop and reinstall again i have had similar problem when director would not open. during install try to shut down zonalarm or comodo firewall (disconnect from internet first) sometimes these interrupt and corrupt installation. thervad is quite right in what he has said
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.