Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Suggestions to learn to play keyboard
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 313645 posted on 27-12-2007 at 03:53 Reply With Quote
Suggestions to learn to play keyboard

I own an electronic keyboard. It has full-size keys, a little built-in speaker, and only cost $10 at a computer fair. As sold, it didn't have a power cord--one explanation for the cheap price.

At the church where I lead music, it's hard to lead singing without accompaniment. We switched to a new hymnal this year, which has some nice new melodies. I have been thinking of teaching myself to play. Even if I could only play the melody line, it would clearly lead everyone.

I can read music (notes and timing). I would most need to learn how to place my fingers, so that after a while I could look at music and hit the right notes (like touch typing). The learn-piano books I saw at the book store seem to spend a large amount of time on how to read music and count timing (which I already know) and how chords are constructed. I mostly want instruction on fingering--music numbered to tell me which fingers to place on which keys would be most helpful (which is how I learned guitar chords--charts which showed fret positions and numbered for which finger goes where).

Does anyone care to recommend learn-keyboard software? Or perhaps a learn keyboard site, or a learn-keyboard computer CD with pics or finger notations? Or a learn-keyboard book?

Keyboard players seem more rare than they used to be. A few generations ago, I think fewer little girls played sports, and more learned piano, then organ. Do we have some keyboard players here? What do you think of the modest goal of learning to play melody lines? (I've also heard of the fake-it notations--melody with one hand, and a chord key with the left hand. That might be another possibility.):)
Quaver
The Q

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

[*] Post 313654 posted on 27-12-2007 at 05:43 Reply With Quote

I used to play as a child, gave it up when I hit the teens:D
Who cares about fingering when all you need is the melody linenananana
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 313660 posted on 27-12-2007 at 09:44 Reply With Quote

google is your friend.............just an example of resources already out there.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.