Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Help with Music Editing
Phlarb

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

[*] Post 313353 posted on 23-12-2007 at 22:00 Reply With Quote
Help with Music Editing

hello everyone.

ok here it is: i am trying to put a new sound track in a star craft map i am making. i have the files there and they do play.
the problem was that it played them extremly quiet, i solved that using Goldwave. now i can turn them up as loud as i want but there is a catch, when the music peaks on the louder points of the songs there is a distortion. now if u havent seen goldwave you should know it has everything u could ever need so i know i dont need a new program.

so my question is: what do i have to tweak to get rid of the distortions? I. E. the equalizer, the decibel level or anything.
i have no exp. with editing music so i dont know. ive been in so many forums i have a nose bleed(lol). does anyone know what i should do?confused2:(

File Specs: in order to work on Star craft, the file must be a Wav. the output format must be no bigger then 16bit. i have it set to 24000hz in a balance of quality and file size(this is a game map that is intended for download, eventualy, so size matters)
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 313450 posted on 24-12-2007 at 11:52 Reply With Quote

Simply - Distortion occurs because the signal strength is too great for the replay medium.

If the original signal is distorted, amplifying it will also amplify the distortion.

I can't be specific as I am not familiar with goldwave but I am assuming that you can a) display signal level using VU meters, b) adjust the input level in real time as you are processing the music.

To get the best sound that you can from any live source you need to record it at the highest level possible, with the peaks on the VU meters occasionally flicking into the red zone, but not staying there.

When editing a pre-recorded source, the principals are similar, but you may need to adjust the levels dynamically to minimise the distortion in the louder sections and use some eq to minimise the amplified distortions in the quieter sections.

In short, set the gain to the loudest possible without distortion. The eq can only be used to remove excessive hiss or hum.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.