Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Freedom of Speech on the Web.
Badgergirl
The great striped one

Theme: Halloween 2005

Mood: In love.

[*] Post 313040 posted on 21-12-2007 at 19:58 Reply With Quote
Freedom of Speech on the Web.

I've just been viewing a youtube vid (I'll post the link later probably in RSE when I can find where it was!)

I posted a comment in my usual non-aggressive style and waited to see the coment up in full. I got "Comment pending approval"

If someone does not want to see my pov posted on the web, they'll delete it. Mine probably will, because I can't see any of the "negative" comments that have been responded to by others. Mine isn't negative, but I DID post my thoughts in an honest way. (In direct response to another comment)

The rest of the 400 ish comments were very fawning and sappy, all in praise of the video, which was a 12 year old boy phoning a radio station.

I'll let you know if I get my comment posted.
janet
Mismatched shoes

Theme: Forest

Mood: Devastated

[*] Post 313043 posted on 21-12-2007 at 20:18 Reply With Quote

But that's hardly about freedom of speech - any more than arguments which have happened when mods have deleted posts here come under the heading of freedom of speech. Freedom of speech, at least as usually meant, deals with governmental control of speech, and the right of the citizen/subject to express herself.

There's no guarantee of freedom of speech - on YouTube, on this forum or indeed, in places such as LiveJournal (and in that, I'm not talking about recent changes, but rather the ability of the journal owner to delete things comments made by others).

I'm not at all convinced there should be "freedom of speech" on the web, to be honest. There are a lot of things I'd rather *not* have in the public forum.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 313050 posted on 21-12-2007 at 22:11 Reply With Quote

I could imagine someone posting a person's real-life name, address, phone number, credit card numbers, perhaps an accusation that the person is a pedophile or torturer of animals, or that he works for Al Quaeda. On a busy site, many people might read it before a moderator deleted it. It sounds as if this site just requires human eyes to look at a post before it goes up. That seems reasonable to me.

We have a number of people here who are involved in web sites. If you had a really horrible experience from a post, would you put in a delay-for-approval step?

If the person who views posts selects only those to his liking, that would be different than the kind of safety-censorship of which I speak. Still, it's their "house."
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.